nothing seems to grow properly

• 16 Replies

Jimmy Splash

nothing seems to grow properly
« on: August 02, 2010, 13:27 »
except spuds, french beans and radishes. Everything i plant from seed takes about a month later than what the packet suggests to shoot. And then it struggles and dies. Even flowers. Sorry, just a rant

compostqueen

Re: nothing seems to grow properly
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 14:08 »
Are you following the seed packet instructions to the letter, about sowing times etc? 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 14:31 »
Everything i plant from seed

If you could be specific, the members could have a think about what the problem may be.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jimmy Splash

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 15:48 »
my swede packet says the i'll have shoots between 7-14 days. i planted them directly into the soil a month ago (as per instructions)

my packet of wildflowers i planted approx 2 months ago. i've got 1 flowering bud. i water them as per instructions.

i don't lose sleep over this. it's just abit frustrating and odd

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 16:26 »
my swede packet says the i'll have shoots between 7-14 days. i planted them directly into the soil a month ago (as per instructions)

I always sow my swede seed in seed tray modules with compost and plant on when bigger (it originally started this way because I needed to get their bed ready first) - even with seed that is 4 years old, there is still well over 80% germination rate making an appearance after just 5 days.  When they get bigger and the root ball fills the cell but before they get "pot bound", they'll get planted out in their final site.  Swede seedlings make great slug/snail snack so its possible your seeds came up, then got eaten before you got overly excited by it all.

Now flowers - I get mixed results, as they are not really my thing.  Sowing them in trays in a controlled environment at home and planting stuff out seems to work much better for me than scattering/sowing in situ - again, I think the combination of weather (too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry) and hungry pests do a lot more damage than you might imagine.

Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 16:42 »
Couple of things to think about

- do you plant into a drill already watered?
- do you plant at the right depth? Seedlings can run out of energy before reaching the surface (unless they are weeds of course  :lol: )
- do you water them too hard so the top of the soil dries into a pan they cannot break through?

Just thoughts you understand  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Livinhope

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 16:50 »
Just a thought but has the soil had any 'food', growmore or compost, anything to help because it sounds as though the seedlings could run out of nutrition.

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 19:10 »
Hi Jimmy Splash - do not know how long you have been growing veggies but there are a couple of books that may help if you are a beginner (I have been growing for ** years and still refer to them). One is the Vegetable Expert and the other is Grow your own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom. The various areas on this website are also useful.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 19:18 »
Ahem - forgetting a couple of useful books aren't we?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 19:19 »
Ahem - forgetting a couple of useful books aren't we?

You mean the ones by that John chap??  :lol:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/index.php

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Springlands

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 19:26 »
Oops  :ohmy: That me in the bad books   :)

Babstreefern

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 19:51 »
Apart from root veg, I start all my veg in trays and/or pots.  You should see the conservatory from January through to April, you can't move.  With root veg, in my case, parsnip and swede, I planted them straight into the ground.  I used drills, and they are doing great.  I must admit I don't grow carrots, I've never been successful with them. :D
Babs

SG6

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 20:03 »
When the packet says germinates in 7-24 days do they specify the conditions?

I wonder if 7-14 days means heated growing medium, optimum light conditions and constant misting/watering as is found in indoor commerical growing. Or similar conditions in their glass houses from which they can then draw the values stated.

You garden soil outside in the wind, cool nights, sun, cold rain etc do not quite match.

Cannot help why they sprout and die, mine seem to sprout, grow a little then stop and neither grow any more or die.

Jimmy Splash

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 22:03 »
Couple of things to think about

- do you plant into a drill already watered?
- do you plant at the right depth? Seedlings can run out of energy before reaching the surface (unless they are weeds of course  :lol: )
- do you water them too hard so the top of the soil dries into a pan they cannot break through?

Just thoughts you understand  :)

that is very interesting....i didn't take the watering of seeds too 'hard' into consideration nor about the depth of seed planting. i shall take this onboard.
i sometimes start out with seed trays but if the packet says i can put them straight into the soil then i normally do!

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 22:39 »
yes, I sow direct into the soil if possible as it saves work.  It's so true though that you think your seeds haven't germinated but they've actually been grazed off by slimeys. This is one of the reasons for some folks getting stuff going in seed trays etc to get a goodly sized plant which will better withstand attack

There are always losses but you'd expect something to come up from your sowings. I mean if you spill a packet of seed you always get 100 % germination  :D

xx
Anyone know how to grow Florence (bulb) Fennel properly?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 20:29
by bonfire
xx
How to mulch properly??

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2007, 22:41
by supersprout
xx
Using the heated prop properly!?

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 12:36
by stompy
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 29 queries.