Using the heated prop properly!?

• 12 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Using the heated prop properly!?
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:25 »
I persevered with Strawberries from seed in my heated prop but to no avail. I now have chilli and bell pepper seeds on the go. I'm using multi cells in there, one seed per cell, but they are drying out very quickly which i know is likely to happen and i can't remember what i did last year. Do you think i need it at all? I remember getting some Cayenne going last year in a normal seed tray with a lid on in the airing cupboard. Or should i be sowing in 3" pots, a few seeds per pot, and then putting that in the heated prop?  :unsure:

Ps am i too late for mussleburgh leeks to start off?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Using the heated prop properly!?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31 »
I think you know my opinions about heated propgators! My chillis, peppers & aubergines germinated quite nicely, a few in a pot, tied up in a plastic bag - no drying out. Going to pot thm on today, hopefully whilst I wait for it to warm up outside.

As for leeks, it's still quite early yet, just sowed mine a couple of days ago, cat litter tray method, of course!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:41 »
I think you know my opinions about heated propgators! My chillis, peppers & aubergines germinated quite nicely, a few in a pot, tied up in a plastic bag - no drying out. Going to pot thm on today, hopefully whilst I wait for it to warm up outside.

As for leeks, it's still quite early yet, just sowed mine a couple of days ago, cat litter tray method, of course!

he he, yes Dave, i know you're not a fan. What if i just switched it off then but left those chilli and peppers in there just under the lid? Too cool or still okay? I haven't even started any tomatoes yet but i guess i should get a shift on really...I think i'll sow toms in an UNheated prop on the ironing board in our bedroom.

And sorry to ask another question but the cat litter tray method of sowing leeks is something i'd like an idiots guide to please....  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:47 »
I suppose, in truth, it depends on how warm your house is. With the central heating, I find I don't need any extra warmth. I can appreciate that in some circumstances extra heat may be required.

Cat litter tray method here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26363.0

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:15 »
I have had germination in an unheated prop on a south facing windowsill for chilis - had about 50 odd of sixty up so far.  Temperature in the house is about 20 degrees...

The lid is now off and they seem to be doing well - true leaves coming on them now and a new shoot popped up yesterday evening too...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:30 »
Patience is a definite requirement for chilli germination; even in perfect conditions you will be very lucky to see anything in under 2 weeks, some take 5 weeks (depends on variety.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

stompy

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:36 »
I do like the heated prop as i feel you get a more vigerouse germination because of the constant temp.
You say they are drying out very quickly, how are you watering them? from the top or from underneith?
I use a piece of capillary matting in the bottom of mine and wet it thoroughly, then leave it to dry out completely then re-wet it again.
This seems to allow just the right amount of moisture in the prop with both vents open.
If you have too much moisture in there then the seeds may be roting before they can germinate!

I use 3" shallow pots, multi cell trays and open trays in mine, then as soon as i have germination they are removed from the prop if i have other things to go in or the top is taken off and the prop turned off of i havn't.

Also you say that you only put one seed in per cell, that gives you only one chance of success per cell.
I don't know how many seeds you have, but i would put at least 2 to 4 seeds per cell and then either thin out or prick out the seedlings when they're big enough.
You have 2 to 4 times the chance of a good result then.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:37 by stompy »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:38 »
9 seeds, one pot, one polythene bag.

Just potted 9 on.  :lol:

stompy

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:44 »
Im not saying the pot and bag method isn't just as good as a prop or doesn't work as well as a prop D.D, that's what i used to use before i got a prop but i feel more confident with a prop.

I't comes down to personal preference, and if something gives you confidence in what you do then it's got to be a good thing  ;)

Why don't you like props D.D, or is it just heated props?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:00 »
I'm not a big fan of them, I don't particularly hate them, personally I find them totally unnecessary and they would be an utter waste of my money.

I know this is not the fault of the propagator, but as has been proved on here many times, it seems that owning one sometimes means you don't have to read up on either how to use it, or the back of the seed packet!

Ah - heated propagator = early cabbage syndrome!

stompy

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:12 »
But then like you say it comes down to operator error  :lol:

Our central heating is set to come on at 06:00 go off at 08:30 then back on at 16:00 and off at 22:30 so the temprature in the house can fluctuate quite alot and it's an old style 1900's house so it gets quit cold sometimes.
Thats why i like the propagator as it gives me an almost constant temprature with very little temprature fluctuation.

Horses for courses i suppose, thats why i like mine, it's right for my circumstances.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 12:25 »
Horses for courses i suppose, thats why i like mine, it's right for my circumstances.

Absolutely!  :)

If I lived in a cold house with no double-glazing or sunny windowsills I'd certainly have to consider a heated propagator to get seeds like chillies going (probably not that much else though.)

Luckily however, I don't, so I haven't!   :)

stompy

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 12:36 »
Ours is double glazed, and centrally heated too but my OH suffers with her sinusses and we can't have the heating on too long as she gets really bad (and angry :lol:)

We have forgotten to put the heating on program before so it just comes on with the thermostat when it needs to, and after a week or two the house begins to warm up (in summer)  :lol:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:38 by stompy »

xx
How to mulch properly??

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2007, 22:41
by supersprout
xx
nothing seems to grow properly

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 20:55
by sunshineband
xx
Anyone know how to grow Florence (bulb) Fennel properly?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 20:29
by bonfire
clip
Heated vs un-heated

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 23:48
by Robster

Page created in 1.473 seconds with 38 queries.