Poorly plum tree (Duc du Comice)

• 14 Replies

Veggie Virgin

Poorly plum tree (Duc du Comice)
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:27 »
Planted in Dec.  Doing fine - new leaves, some blossom in the Spring.  Given lots of water (clay soil).

Within the last week all the leaves have curled, gone black between the still green veins and become brittle.  Slightest knock and they fall off.  New growth appearing from the root stock at the bottom of the tree.  That's OK, but of course I have had to cut that off.

Any ideas what's wrong with my poorly plum?

BabbyAnn

Re: Poorly plum tree (Duc du Comice)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 13:32 »
I'm only guessing, but is it possible the recent heatwave had a knock on effect?  Too hot/scorched? 

The other thing worth looking at is the underside of the leaves - is it possible you have a sap sucking infestation (eg aphids)?  The "scorching" effect reminded me of my blackcurrants which were covered in something - I had to use a pesticide to get it under control and they recovered.

Also, I presume the soil is suitable for that variety pear tree?  I have a Cox apple (admittedly a whim purchase at the time) and although the year starts off promising with loads of blossom and fresh green growth, the leaves eventually curl up and look scorched and generally not a happy tree (although it is still productive).  I've since learned that Cox apples are quite fussy

stompy

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 14:14 »
Isn't Duc Du Comice a pear?

Veggie Virgin

Re: Poorly Pear Tree (Duc du Comice)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 15:29 »
I am such a nit at times!  My poorly tree is indeed a pear tree.  No, it's not aphids.  The leaves are too dry and brittle.  I have had the local garden centre "experts" look at a sample of twig and leaf and even they are stumped.
I may have to resort to sending a sample to RHS, but that takes time and I am worried that the tree is dying....

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 15:36 »
Any chance it's been exposed to a herbicide?

Veggie Virgin

Re: Poorly pear tree (Duc du Comice)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 22:19 »
It's been planted in ground that hasn't been worked for years and years.  In fact, it's the allotment next to mine which I took over this year, so I know exactly what's gone on the ground and in it for the past four years and that is precisely nothing until I planted my pear trees....  (the other one, a Red William, is doing fine and is only a few feet away).

Taff the Welder

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 23:18 »
It's not just me then... I have the exact same symptoms‘ right down to the Root Stock shoots.
I noticed a load of nettles and Bramble at the end of the plot, near the pear, had gone black and lost leaves so attributed my lose to a resident trying to clear the neighbouring waste ground?
Again, the Cherry tree & Apple trees only 6-8 foot away have no problems…?
Could it be some resident evil from the supplier?

Veggie Virgin

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:59 »
OK Taff.  today I will take my camera to the pear tree, take a couple of shots and email the RHS at Wisley and ask them.  Will let you know what they say.

Veggie Virgin

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 21:05 »
My local garden centre, Squires, after some investigation and consultation, have decided that my poor tree is suffering from not enough watering in the Spring when it was so dry and has a potash deficiency.  Off to the garden centre tomorrow to get some Sulphate of Potash and will treat all the trees - the three new ones and the five mature ones...

Bought a grapevine today on impulse.  Big new learning curve!!!

Veggie Virgin

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 21:16 »
Forgot to mention that the guys also said that the tree will survive with enough water and treatment

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 00:40 »
Blimey. I planted a new pear tree last autumn. I watered it once on the day I planted it, have ignored it ever since, and it's healthy as anything with two pears on it :)

stompy

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 08:13 »
Your suposed to water any new tree thoroughly when planted and also when dry in it's first year.
All you end up with is shallow roots, i don't water once their in as this forces the roots to go down to find water.

Even on very dry summers dig dowv 4 to 6inch and the soil is damp, also mulch round them well with grass cuttings (etc) to keep the ground moist.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 08:23 »
I'm wondering if it is fire blight.

That makes leaves go black as though they have been singed  :unsure: :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Veggie Virgin

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 08:37 »
Fire blight was ruled out. So I am going with the potash deficiency.  Dr. Hessayon's book on Fruit (old edition) stated that it could be magnesium deficiency.  Whatever it is, my tree is going to be treated with both substances!

Shokky has been incredibly lucky.  All the fruit tree books I have consulted ALL say that new trees need to be watered well in the first year.  In fact, Dr. H states that in a drought you should give all trees 10 gallons of water per square yard - established and new trees!!!  I think when he wrote that he must have had his own well.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 08:46 »
Over the years we've lived in this house, I've now planted and established at least 10 new fruit trees. All of them have been given a good drenching when planted but no particular attention after that, and all have thrived and grown into good strong trees with no problems.

question
comice pear tree

Started by charliefer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 05:54
by rowan57
xx
Plum tree help

Started by richyrich7 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 09:44
by Aunt Sally
xx
Plum tree help please.

Started by Dabhand on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 22:06
by Dabhand
xx
Plum tree in a pot

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 21:17
by New shoot

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 35 queries.