Chitting sweetcorn

• 12 Replies

Scotch Thistle

Chitting sweetcorn
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:29 »
Hi , i started my sweetcorn chitting last weekend and some of them have started to sprout. How long can i leave them before potting them up - reason for asking is my root trainers haven't arrived yet and i want to use them for these seeds.
I made paper tubes last year and got bored of making them quickly and they fell apart during planting anyway so want to try something a bit more substantial this year.

Cheers

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Chitting sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:34 »
They really need potting up straight away, but can I ask what you're going to do with the plants as you won't be able to put them outside for 2-3 months yet.

I won't be starting mine for another 6 weeks.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:36 »
Wow you are really early, last year I started mine off 6th May. I wouldn’t leave them for much longer before potting them up.
Paul

Agatha

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:48 »
As they won't be able to go out for a while, it might be worth putting them in pots, although I usually avoid this as they don't like root disturbance.  I'll be starting mine off in about 6 weeks in loo roll inners - they just about hold together until it's time to plant out.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Spana

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:54 »
Just out of interest, would they be ok planted out in a polytunnel this early :unsure:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 13:00 »
You'd really have to match May/June temperatures in the polytunnel, but I you can do that, I see no reason why not.

As they are wind pollinated plants, you'd have to do this by hand to make sure.

I grow mine in pots. The year I tried loo rolls I had poor germination and grew more toadstool on them than sweetcorn.

If you catch the plants at the right size, the pot is full of root and comes out without disturbance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 13:02 by DD. »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 13:20 »
I make paper pots a little larger than loo roll tubes and if you time your planting out so that the pots have dried out a little on the outside they are still strong enough to plant out without falling apart.

Also agree that unless you can provide the growing temperatures DD mentions you are going to have a big problem keeping them alive (and restricted to a transplantable size) until the end of May outdoors (at the earliest.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 15:40 »
I normally chit my first lot the last week in March, then pot them in 500g yogart pots and plant out about the 3rd week in April. They have to be protected , which I do by making a small poly tunnel with plastic hops and clear plythene over the bed. This is left on untill they start touching the polythene. I normally cover the bed at the being of April to let the soil warm up before they are planted out. 

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 20:15 »
i plant mine in 3 inch pots in the cold frame in the second half of may and plant out when they are a couple of inches tall, like DD says if your careful there is no root disturbance and you have a definite plant to set into your block.

Scotch Thistle

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 06:29 »
Well i checked the back of the packet and it says sow indoors Feb-May, and no mention of the need for higher temperatures. Very helpfull. Does sound from everyone here that they are way too early.
Ah well, they have two chances. I will get them potted up asap and keep them in the house until May. Last year my plants were late in getting started, and they never really got very big so i figured i'd try a bit early this year. If they look poor closer to planting out time i'll start some more.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 06:46 »
The earliest dates on seed packets are always optimistic and refer to the warmest parts of the country.

There's a more reliable guide here:

Sowing & Harvesting Guide

Totty

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 19:45 »
I always put mine in at the end of this month at the very earliest, purely because i aint got room anywhere for them beforehand!
 Things that go outside that are tender will appreciate the soil being warm to a reasonable depth, not just the air around them being warm. Things like corn, squash, courgette, beans etc need not be rushed and then wrapped up in case of a cold night IMO.
Good luck though! :)

Agatha

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 15:54 »
My dad lives in Wales & his veg patch is quite chilly - he covers his sweetcorn patch in black plastic (old compost bags etc) and plants through slits cut in the plastic - he has bumper crops in spite of late planting, so you could try that.

xx
Chitting sweetcorn

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 20:47
by DD.
xx
DD - sweetcorn chitting yet?

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 11:26
by AnneB
xx
Chitting Sweetcorn

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

93 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 22:08
by ziggy66
xx
Chitting sweetcorn

Started by DonnaP on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 22:17
by Ian_A

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 29 queries.