My new pond

• 109 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: My new pond
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2011, 12:18 »
Make sure the comfrey is not in contact with the water as it is widely used as a fertiliser so would contaminate your pond with nitrates.

We don't have a normal filter in ours but have always had a pump which takes the water through an ultraviolet filter.  Don't know how effective it is but it is working in ours.  It did not help with bad case of blanket weed last year but we have stopped topping up with tap water this year and it is now clear.

The bug soulds like some sort of fly or midgie larvae.

Good luck.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

smud6ie

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2011, 12:23 »
What about a picture of the long tailed grub,what is the length and thickness  of the tail in relation to the size of the body?
smud6ie

ANHBUC

hubballi

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2011, 14:22 »
Alistair my garden is quite wildlife friendly.

I am not totally organic but don't use a lot of chemicals, I do put organic approved slug pellets sparingly around the most vulnerable and precious plants.

I have two huge compost heaps and lots of trees and flowers. There are a lot of insects, bees, butterflies and birds in the garden. A fair amount of snails present too despite the slug pellets. I had a hedgehog visit the area near to the house a couple of weeks back too. My soil has lots of lovely earth worms, and I see beetles, spiders, woodlice, ants etc on the surface level.

My garden is not terribly tidy, the paths often have weeds and self seeded plants growing on them, there are often logs/woody bits that are too thick to go on compost heap or through the shredder. So I would have thought it would be attractive to wildlife.

The one big negative might be the feline population frequenting the garden. My garden is one of the two largest in the nearby houses and my own two cats and about another 8 cats living nearby frequently play/sleep/hunt in the garden. Despite this I do have a lot of mice and birds as I have many trees and large shrubs.

I have planted several clumps of each of the following around the pond in addition to what I have in the pond : irises, agapanthus, rhubarb, hardy geranium, echinops. However the planting is not very deep yet, around 6" to 18" and around that some bare earth.

The pond is within 18" of a pyracantha hedge, a buddleia tree and some other shrubs.

I expect it's now too late for frogspawn, so could I clear some of the gunge floating on the top of the pond and empty the remaining rain water from my waterbutt into pond to bring it back to original level ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

ANHBUC

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2011, 15:35 »

I expect it's now too late for frogspawn, so could I clear some of the gunge floating on the top of the pond and empty the remaining rain water from my waterbutt into pond to bring it back to original level ?

You can clear the gunge but be careful with water from a waterbutt as it could be stagnant.  Only use it if you know it is fresh.  You could try diverting your rainwater downpipe directly to your pond if you are expecting a good downpour.  This is what I am currently trying to do as the levels are getting lower every day.

hubballi

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2011, 22:59 »

8doubles

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2011, 08:07 »
One of these ? 5WCWhBIig54
they can live in clean water.......................or sewage !

hubballi

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 23:45 »
Yep, that was it.

smud6ie

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2011, 08:12 »
Yep, that was it.

A rattailed magot was sugested in reply #25,nearly 30 posts ago!!

If the long tailed things swimming around are these then it could be a sign of organic polution, I get them in my comfry and nettle fertilizer  brew.
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/ag369/notes/rattailed_maggots.html

smud6ie

ANHBUC

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2011, 09:13 »
Yep, that was it.

A rattailed magot was sugested in reply #25,nearly 30 posts ago!!

If the long tailed things swimming around are these then it could be a sign of organic polution, I get them in my comfry and nettle fertilizer  brew.
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/ag369/notes/rattailed_maggots.html

smud6ie

That is why I advised against having the comfrey touching the pond.

Make sure the comfrey is not in contact with the water as it is widely used as a fertiliser so would contaminate your pond with nitrates.

Now you know what the problem is you will be able to rectify it.  That is if you get enough rainwater to replace some of the existing pond water.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2011, 10:11 »
I'm not sure a problem has been identified.  Going back to the photograph, the Comfrey is pretty much growing in the pond in the pebbled bog area.  As such it's acting as a weak biological filter and will be pulling nutrients out of the water as it grows.  The Comfrey leaves will only be a problem if they are allowed to rot.

The rat-tailed maggot could survive in polluted or stagnant water, but it's not a definite indication of either.

I've already asked the question, and it's not been answered;

What is the Comfrey growing in?

If it's regular compost or garden soil and it's in contact with the pond water then this is more likely to be a problem than the Comfrey itself.

It's also not been clarified how old this pond is.  If this pond is less than two years old, then the best thing it could be given to encourage wildlife is time/patience.  It will take at least a year for the water to get itself in balance whether the water used to fill it came from a water butt or the tap.

If it was built after Autumn last year, then it will have been missed this year by the frogs for breeding.  And in any case, it would be too new to reliably support tadpoles for at least a year.

An update photo would be useful, the photos posted so far show a rather bleak and unwelcoming pond from frogs point of view.  They like somewhere to shelter where they can feel comfortable and hidden from predators.  Your marsh marigolds will produce this in a few seasons, but think about some floating plants and introducing a bit more "straggliness" around the margins (perhaps some miniature reedmace such as Typha minima).  With leaves that overhang the edge and provide shelter all the way from water-to-soil.  Hostas are good.  And don't worry about slugs, where there are slugs and water there will be frogs in time.  I lose a little early spring vegetation to slug/snail damage, but once the pond warms up and things get going (and in East Anglia this is well into May before this happens) the frogs soon reduce the pest populations without pellets and the summer leaves are safe.

Unless you're going to tell us that the pond is actually five years old.. I think most of the problems aren't really problems and will resolve themselves with time.  We're not even in June yet, and ponds are really late-spring/early-summer gardening.  The warm spring has perhaps created expectations a little early this year.

Don't buy oxygenator weed.. use your local Freecycle/Freegle group.. come high summer I'm usually giving it away by the bucketful locally, along with divisions/seedlings of the marginals and even the excess goldfish that have bred in the pond.

Skimming surface gunge and topping up with rain water is a good idea, but only if the rain water is reasonably fresh.  If it's been standing a while, if there's debris in the water butt or if it has an odour.. then don't use it for the pond.  Locally we've had so little rain that the rainwater we've got left in the butts is too old, contaminated and oxygen depleted to use.  If you do have fresh rainwater, give it a good oxygenation - use a bucket to lift and pour back water into the butt so that it pours fast and splashes loudly.  By this sort of violent disturbance you'll get some air back into water that's been sitting a few days.

If the worst you do is add tapwater, it's not the end of the world.  It will cause a minor algae bloom.. but nothing compared to the bloom you'll get using the wrong compost for aquatic, marginal or bog planting.. if you do use tapwater, use a hose and make the most of a moderate jet of water to disturb the water already in the pond to get some air into it.  Unless we get a torrential downpour in the next couple of weeks I'll almost certainly be topping up my pond with tapwater.

ANHBUC

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2011, 10:34 »
You are probably right but I was going by the size that my comfrey has grown to Alisair.  Where it is positioned and with the high winds we have had I think it will be in the water.  It would have to rot as you say but mine tended to do that quickly with wind damage and dangling in the water.  We moved our comfrey plants from around our small pond for this reason and started to get all of the wildlife/insects etc. that were in our larger pond soon after.  The type of soil would be a major problem as you say, it is not worth cutting corners when planting in the pond.  It costs more for water correction treatments in the long run. 

We are still waiting for a decent amount of rain and our large pond it about 2 1/2" below normal level but it is deep enough not to give us any worries just yet.  Am practicing the "rain dance" just in case though.   :lol:

smud6ie

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2011, 14:37 »
I would say the presence of Rattailed magots was a very good indiaction of organic polution given the fact they need rotting materials for food.It would be a very poor adult fly that layed its eggs in clean water where there was no food for its offspring. :)
This is copied from the link I pointed to in post #25:
smud6ie

Feeding Habits -- These flies are attracted by colorful flowers (especially yellow) as well as by odors of decay. They do not suck blood. Rattailed maggots feed on decaying organic matter in stagnant water or moist excrement.

Damage -- Rattailed maggots are very rarely pests. Occasionally larvae appear in alarming numbers in dung pits or animal waste lagoons. Even so, they pose little threat to man or animals. However, a few rare cases of entericpseudomyiasis (intestinal infestation by fly larvae) have been caused by this species.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 15:23 by smud6ie »

xx
I've been given a pond.

Started by yorkiegal on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 10:59
by smud6ie
xx
pond

Started by edlomatt on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 22:05
by richyrich7
xx
Small Pond

Started by The Jones s on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 20:01
by N.WalesIdealist
xx
establishing a pond,please help!!

Started by mickeyboy on Design and Construction

31 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 22:26
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 36 queries.