Planting Blueberries

• 3 Replies

rocco1504

Planting Blueberries
« on: October 05, 2020, 02:35 »
Hi folks
I'm looking to plant some blueberry plants, and I have just been reading the Chris Bowers website on how to plant them, they said that any animal manure is a No No as a mulch for Blueberries as it may well scorch the roots.
Now the place I want to put them was initially clay broken down with copious amounts of horse manure and is absolutely beautiful for growing things, but I haven't put any more horse manure on this site for about 18 months, I wanted to ask if people reckon that it would be OK for me to use this site with the thinking being that the acidic ?? Stuff in the manure should have "Leeched" out by now so as long as I don't use anymore I should be OK.
I just wanted to see what people think, Please .

Many thanks for looking and any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks Paul

Christine

Re: Planting Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 07:03 »
Blueberries are from the lime hating clan so need soil that allows for this. RHS advice is good.

I found that planting in the ground even with frequent application of Ericaceous compost was not as good as growing in very large containers. As the soil locally is clay based I hope that experience helps.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 09:33 »
As Christine (and the RHS) make clear, low pH and good drainage are both key to keeping blueberries happy - if your improved clay soil is not prone to waterlogging now, and you don't want to grow in containers, you could go down the route of planting your blueberries into holes filled with ericaceous compost.

In subsequent years, you need to keep an eye on the pH, using sulphur chips if necessary to keep it as near to 5.5 as you can.
Pine needles or sphagnum peat moss are far better mulches for blueberries than horse manure, rotted or otherwise.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rocco1504

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 12:08 »
JayG
That's exactly what I was going to do was make large holes and plant into almost pure ericaceous and the clay based bed I want to put them in is at least 18 inches deep before it hits the base clay and is also raised from the surrounding area, so drainage is really good.
My main problem as I see it are the actual PH of the soil itself, I know its Acidic, but is it the correct PH, but as I say, I'm looking to plant directly into ericaceous initially so hopefully it'll be a couple of years before any problems arise.
I've never heard of using Sulphur chips, that's a new one to me, and I'd love to find somewhere to get Pine needles as a mulch.
But thanks to you both for the input, it does help greatly to get a second opinion sometimes.

xx
Planting Blueberries

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 07:42
by savbo
xx
Planting to grow among Blueberries

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 12:49
by Christine
xx
Planting blueberries in containers

Started by christokes87 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 19:50
by sunshineband
xx
Blueberries!

Started by Wildeone on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 08:04
by Wildeone

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 33 queries.