moles??

• 8 Replies

pansy potter

moles??
« on: March 09, 2009, 19:28 »
We have been very busy on our lottie over the last few weeks,having had it ploughed and levelled we are now down to the digging and clearing out the bramble and dock roots.
When we went up today to our dismay on the first two clear plots were mole hills,can anyone offer any advice how we can deal with this little critter,will he just eat worms? or will he tuck into our veg when we start planting? Is there a humane way to get rid of mr mole? thanks  Pansy.

DIGGER

Re: moles??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 19:33 »
Seem to remember this being raised on the forum sometime ago,i think the answer was mothballs.
Somebody with a better memory than me will come upm with this answer

peapod

• Pea Goddess
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

wafflycat

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 22:06 »
Mothballs are poisonous to lots of creatures, so I wouldn't recommend them. What does work is vibration. I loathe moles.. with a vengeance. Moles & magpies: possibly the only two native UK species I *loathe* Moles - I had a lawn about 15' x 20' and it had 36 mole hills on it.. Then there's the tunnels just below the surface. Then there's my weak ankle that I keep going over on due to said moles... Think *rage* simmering just below the surface - same depth as the mole tunnels... but enough of my mental health issues  ;) :D

Cheap & cheerful solution: kids toy windmills. More long term: sonic mole repellents. Work a treat - which reminds me - my two need new batteries...

pansy potter

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 20:44 »
thanks for the replies and tips, going to try the mothballs first and when we see some we are going to try kiddies windmills. Will let you know how we get on .Thanks again  Pansy.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 21:49 »
Terry Walton said in his book that he went around bashing the ground with the back of a shovel.  Apparently they don't like the vibrations or something.  I have no idea if it works.  But possibly worth looking into the theory of this idea.
Teen

Jen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 14:16 »
I'v tried all the humane ways, moth balls, windmills, banging
the ground...even talking to him :blush: but now it's traps... the little
b&%%er has to go!!!    >:(

coo!

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 16:37 »
ha i dug 1 up the other day!! i were trying to see any shoots! and i saw the ground move slightly so i called me daughters over and it moved again i stuck my fork in a little away from it and lifted mr mole up!! he buried himself again! but it was my daughters first one they have ever seen, one of em said was that a baby one dad? i thought they were as big as a badger!!! blooming hell imagine that?!
Face your Fears .............
............Live your Dreams

Never eat yellow snow

SG6

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 21:46 »
If I recall correctly I saw a solar powered mole  :tongue2:"upsetter" :tongue2: in Wilkinsons. ???
I assume that you stick it in the tunnel and it generates vibrations via the solar panel and the bit in the ground. ;) ;)

Cannot recall the price but could be a humane option ::) ::) ::)

Think they just eat works and not the plants. It is the digging and hills they create that we dislike.

Can they be trained to dig an allotment over for you :D :D :D :D :D

xx
Moles..and more moles!

Started by jaycee on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 08:20
by tode
xx
Moles

Started by visionwf on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post December 13, 2009, 18:33
by catllar
question
moles

Started by coppermaran on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post December 16, 2013, 13:43
by Simjo
xx
Moles....

Started by littleorchard on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 21:32
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 34 queries.