allotment

• 9 Replies

dustcartkev

allotment
« on: May 07, 2012, 17:06 »
please help, just taken over allotment, i know we have had alot of rain, but my allotment holds water really bad, so can anyone help please,

Brummie

Re: allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 20:11 »
I'd start by digging a trench around the border of your allotment about 20cm wide by 20cm deep; then fill it with any stones you dig out of your allotment. This should improve the drainage. If it is still water logged you may have to dig one through the middle.

This is what we had to do with our first plot and it improved the ground tenfold.
It can't rain all the time.

dustcartkev

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 19:26 »
thanks for that, i was just wondering if raised beds would help or not, as the soil is not that good aswel, every one on the site as raised beds, what would you suggest, many thanks kev.  8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 19:49 »
If you can get/afford the wood to build them and the soil/compost to fill them, then building raised beds would help if drainage is poor.

dustcartkev

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 19:54 »
the wood is no problem but compost will cost a bit, should i put just put compost or mix it with top soil, thanks 8)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 20:37 »
Compost itself has little nutritional value, you want to mix it with soil.  Make sure your top soil comes from a good source - I have never had much luck importing top soil in the past.  In addition, you don't want to create beds which don't retain water (compost on its own may make it too free draining) - it would create the opposite problem than you have now.

I have built up my raised beds by using the lasagne bed method - beg grass cuttings, cardboard, newspaper, uncooked kitchen waste and manure from free sources and stack a layer of green on top of brown until you get to a good level and then add compost as the top layer to plant in.  It will rot down, but it will help gradually build up the soil level inexpensively.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 20:38 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

grinling

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 21:44 »
Say what area you are. Even in my wettest area I could grow. If you go down raised beds then fill with manure, but remember to top up each year.

savbo

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 14:16 »
Compost itself has little nutritional value, you want to mix it with soil.  Make sure your top soil comes from a good source - I have never had much luck importing top soil in the past. .

I'd second that - unless you actually see the stuff before you buy, you usually get topsoil that is rubbish. Better to use your own soil and really work at getting it better, than paying for someone else's rubbish soil, and still  really working at getting it better...

dustcartkev

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 17:35 »
just like to say thanks for everyones advice,  :)

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 16:08 »
You can raise the level of the soil in the raised bed and help your drainage at the same time by digging the soil out of the paths between the beds and putting it in the bed.
Then lay wood chippings on the paths.
If you don't get wood chipping delivered to your site contact some local tree surgoen's as they usually have difficulty getting rid of it.

xx
new allotment

Started by perdycat on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 13:06
by perdycat
xx
new allotment

Started by linda graham on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 07:30
by cadalot
xx
My New Allotment!!

Started by MightyScouse on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 21:46
by MightyScouse
xx
New Allotment

Started by elle.scanlon on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 01:45
by Trillium

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 29 queries.