Is this worth considering?

• 14 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Is this worth considering?
« on: May 13, 2012, 15:36 »
I've been on the lookout for second hand greenhouses sheds etc and went to look and pick up what I thought was going to be a second hand bargain greenhouse until it turned out that the seller had not told me about the completely rusted base and lower half of the greenhouse.

I just saw this aluminium framed poly greenhousehttp://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/6x4ft-aluminium-greenhouse-265313 in b&m homestores reduced from £200 to £130.  Is it worth the money. The poly panels were probably no thicker than ordinary greenhouse glass, but I don't know whether that matters.

I have a special plot our allotment site for a greenhouse or shed, because I am not allowed one on my plot, and I need it for two purposes.  To start seeds a little earlier next year, and somewhere to store my tools (they are cheap and there does not seem to be too much thieving or vandalism on our site, so I'm not too worried about that element).  It would also be nice to have somewhere to hideout when the 10-20minute downpours occur, rather than getting soaked or packing up and going home.

Cost is the other major element here, as I cannot justify spending much more than this on any option , and when I'm looking at sheds they appear to be as cheap, but then need to factor in a bad etc.

Does anyone have any experience with a greenhouse like this and do you think it would do the job?  I realise it would need tying down, as it will be lightweight, but that shouldn't be a problem.

As usual thanks for all advice!

grinling

Re: Is this worth considering?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 21:52 »
Why are you not allowed it on the plot as you could use it for tomatoes etc? Have you space at home? It would need a sheltered area as wind could damage it. I would not want to leave tools in it. Starting seeds earlier would need heat, so check out affects of a parrafin heater.
You could try freecycle/freegle or preloved for a greenhouse.

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 22:28 »
Mine is the same greenhouse as that just a bit bigger 6x6. I am very happy with it and have been growing all my seeds in it since early March. The only thing I would say is try and keep it in a sheltered area as high winds would probaly damage it and mine gets hot very quickly in direct sunlight so greenhouse shading and a auto window opener would be a must.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:17 »
Thanks for the relies.

Grinling, I am not allowed one on my plot due to the site rules (it's a starter plot in the middle of the site and as such I cannot put up a shed or greenhouse etc-I'm not arguing as thems the rules). I can however have another small plot to put one on at the other end of our site which is better than nothing. I'm finding that I need to drive to the site because of the tools I need to take and as I said in my first post I want somewhere to store stuff on site (petty theft and vandalism being pretty minimal- the only thing having being knocked is the lock to one of the two gates into the site over the lat few years). Also my tools are only cheap but I plan on getting a smallish lockable cabinet to put them in, but inside the greenhouse so they are out of the way.

Thanks Kergan, that is really useful to know. I think the position it will be in likely to get a lot of sunlight for the day so I will look into the auto window opener. Can you use standard greenhouse ones?

Dopey113

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:35 »
The fist greenhouse you looked at, if its a proper one with glass and more heavy and ridged, is it bigger than the plastic one? if it has more positive things about it, then spend your £130 on a base and doing it up, you will end up with a better greenhouse then, at no extra cost, there's a reason why some things are cheep, there sub standard, you pay for what you get, you want it to last for 20 years, not 20 months, look at the long team benefits if it all, then decide 
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:06 »
There are a lot of them ones on my old site just right for starting seeds off.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:04 »
Thanks Dopey and Caretaker.

Unfortunately the other one wasn't free, it was going to cost the best part of the £100 (although was a fair size larger) and really wasn't in a condition that was worth taking home given what I would have to spend to get it to a state where I would be happy using it.  I've been looking for months on gumtree, freecycle etc, and I know what you are saying Dopey, but in reality I don't know how long I need it to last.  From the couple of positive comments on here I think the aluminium/poly greenhouse will meet my needs for now - cost is the biggest factor at the moment.

I also know what you are saying about you get what you pay for (I have to use that arguement for my company whenever I meet new customers since China output copies at a fraction of the cost!), but I think I have the right expectations.  I guess my post was really just to confirm my thinking.  If loads of people had come on saying they don't do the job, and can't retain the heat I would have to rethink and probably just end up with a shed to store tools, but since they seem to work it could be the right compromise for me at this time.

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 13:26 »
Hi, my polly dose condensate a lot, may be my lack of venterlating.
I am more than pleased with it and like i say lots of people seem to have them.
Just go for it..

Twoflower

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 14:30 »
hello

Why not build a tool store?
UI buitl one from some old pallets its about 8' long - 4' wide and 3' high with a felt top and lid that opens one side - perfect for keeping tools in on site and the right hight to use as a potting bench - i have pics if you wanna see it - i built it before i got a shed and now i have one i still use it

cheap to build and an easy solution
thanks
Member of the Special Brew-Up Service
Who is bringing the biscuits?

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 14:39 »
Pictures would be great Twoflower.  I happened across a similar sounding project earlier that I think related to joe Swift on Gardeners World.  Being on my Ipad I couldn't watch the video yet though!

I have a good supply of pallets from work and like the idea of the potting shed.  I think that combined with the greenhouse could work well.

Thanks!

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 13:46 »
So I bought this the other night before travelling to Luton airport where it was left in the car for two nights!  Had a chance to get it out of the box last night to check it and although I'm no greenhouse expert, it seems to be pretty good and should meet all of my needs.  The only thing is it doesn't come with a base, but I have seen an aluminium one online on another website for £20 I think.

It's going to be on a small plot on the allotment site, so I was planning to put in some bricks or breeze blocks for a solid level base (not sure I'm allowed to use concrete, and don't particularly want to either), and find some way of fixing it to those.  Is the aluminium base necessary (and what is the point of it)?

Dopey113

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 14:30 »
Breeze blocks are good, they have better thermal propertys

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 19:05 »
Can pallets be used for the base of a polycarbonate greenhouse?  I have a free supply from work.

Dopey113

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 16:13 »
yea but not an ideal medium to use, ( there not a hard wood for a start) I would treat them with something first, they will rot as fast as anything otherwise, and you have to be a little careful what you treat them with, bearing in mind there going to be quite close to whatever your planting and growing

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 16:49 »
So I bought the greenhouse for £130 and they just reduced it to £100! I took it back and bought it at the reduced price so I think that is a pretty good dea in the end.  I also thought that might interest anyone else who is on the lookout for a cheap and easy greenhouse solution to begin with.

Interestingly I read this article after buying it the first time: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningequipment/6537880/Greenhouses-why-polycarbonate-beats-glass.html

Finally I realise everyone is on different margins but I have seen this exact greenhouse on the web for up to £250...so £100 is pretty good me thinks.

xx
Is it worth building your own shed??

Started by infowarrior on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 20:05
by David.
xx
Weather Proofing Old Pallets...is it worth it?

Started by Axe Victim on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 21:40
by legendaryone
xx
Passive Greenhouse- worth building?

Started by Kevin S on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 23:32
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 37 queries.