making the most of small garden area

• 12 Replies

doodledo

making the most of small garden area
« on: March 16, 2011, 19:21 »
Hi Everyone,
I would really love to grow my own veg but i dont have that much space.....  my garden is HUGE However most of space is taken up by chickens, ducks, goats & bunnies. lol

I have some space in the front garden i could grow but its a fairly small area about 15x15ft.

What veg/fruit etc... would be best for small area part shade.

I want to make the most of the space,  i have an apple tree planted in the front garden
which now im thinking prob wasnt that great an idea....

I was thinking of planting some of the more expensive fruit and veg,  potatoes, carrots, etc... are fairly cheap and not really enough room for veg like that,

Maybe i need to move my animals about a bit, see if i can make some room.

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: making the most of small garden area
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 20:09 »
15' X 15' is loadsaroom to get some veg. I'd concentrate on things you like to eat that give a decent crop for minimal use of space. Courgettes and french beans, for example, will give you a very decent crop for not much space. And don't forget containers, too, because there's lots of stuff you can easily grow in containers or growbags. You could also try things that grow vertically, to maximise use of space, e.g. runner beans, tall peas, mangetout, climbing french beans.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 20:24 »
before I got my lottie last year I was growing in about the same space as you have, and grew quite a lot: A row of nice new spuds followed by leeks; some peas, some runner beans a couple of courgettes, garlic, chard, sweetcorn and all the lettuce and spring onions I wanted.

So work out what you wan to eat...you'll be surprised how much will fit in.

I wouls recommend you borrow Peter Seabrook's Complete Vegetable Gardener book from the library, it's a bit old fashioned in style but will give you a good idea of just what you can grow in a small plot. with rotations, planting plans, and sowing guides. Gives a good insight in how to manage a small plot effectively IMO

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 20:40 »
I only have a small amount of space so tend to grow the space efficient stuff the others have mentioned like courgettes, runner beans etc. I grow a lot in containers. There are some great cherry toms for hanging baskets that have always done better for me that the main ones (100s and 1000s, tumbling tom and maskato - sp?) and am trying chillis this way too (Aji limon).

I also plan for things like kale and leeks that you start off earlier and then transplant later once I have harvested an earlier crop.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 22:26 »
And just think of all that luvverly manure right on your doorstep...... :D

Dominic

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:05 »
Woohoo, someone like me  :)
Considering the costs of potatos, I think its a bit daft to grow them too.  Especialy if your space limited, and want to concentrate on expensive stuff like leaks and fruit.

I pretty much grow just Soft Fruit now
You can probably get 16 currants in that space you have.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 09:32 »
Considering the costs of potatos, I think its a bit daft to grow them too.  Especialy if your space limited, and want to concentrate on expensive stuff like leaks and fruit.

We don't always GYO because of the cost of veg. There's the freshness of flavour in mundane (in some eyes - not mine) veg like potatoes and carrots. You can grow things which aren't mainstream enough for the supermarkets, for instance and therefore difficult for many to get hold of - think heritage varieties. But grow what you want to eat. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 09:35 »
I think you're calling a lot of folk on this forum daft, Dominic!

It's like digging up buried treasure when you first put your fork in and lift those nuggets. It's always worth setting aside a bit of space for a few early spuds.  The flavour of those straight from the ground to the steamer bears no comparison of the "new" spuds from the shops that have been sitting around for days. Grow a few in containers if you are short on ground space.

As for maincrop spuds, even my daughter looks forward to my baked spuds, rather than the watery things from Tesc*.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dominic

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 09:41 »
I dont dispute they will be better, and if you have room , great, but growing potatos and buying blackcurrants, I maintain thats daft.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 10:27 »
I'm strapped for space as well but wouldn't dream of missing out on new potatoes!

Because they're out of the way early they can be followed by other crops (various salad crops, carrots, chard, Florence Fennel (!))

Runner beans surely top the productivity table for the amount of crop per square yard taken up, but first and foremost you have to grow things you like to eat!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 11:04 »
The cost of fruit bushes and the low yield in the first few years should also be considered, but everyone to there own.
Lettuce must be one of the best value for money crops on any plot.
Swiss Chard (Rainbow) looks great, lasts all year and no waste.
We all have are favourites, ie DD and Pea's, so grow what you eat a lot of and don't get hung up on costs.
You can get a lot in 15ft by 15ft.

ferreter51

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 14:36 »
I only have a small amount of space so tend to grow the space efficient stuff the others have mentioned like courgettes, runner beans etc. I grow a lot in containers. There are some great cherry toms for hanging baskets that have always done better for me that the main ones (100s and 1000s, tumbling tom and maskato - sp?) and am trying chillis this way too (Aji limon).

I also plan for things like kale and leeks that you start off earlier and then transplant later once I have harvested an earlier crop.

I echo that about hanging baskets.  I started with tumbling toms last year and got a great crop.  This year I'm ousting my wife's flower baskets and using them for more tomatoes.  I've also just got my greenhouse up and I'll be interested to see how the greenhouse varieties compare with those in the hanging baskets.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 15:35 »
Also think about what can be grown vertically to save space. Cukes trained up a trellis or fence is wise space saving. Same with melons/squash. Bush courgettes tend to take up space but there's a climbing variety which can go up another trellis. Rather than bush beans, try climbing/pole beans if you like them, same with climbing peas - you need less of them and they'll climb. A few indeterminate toms (climbers) can also be tucked somewhere sunny to climb.

As for your animals, you can surround the bases of the mini crops with some fencing to stop any nibbling off of stems, etc.

If planting in your front yard, space plants with attractive flowers to partially disguise the veg and not incur thieving. 

xx
2 or 3 beds in small area.

Started by BOB3554 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 14:04
by willnbirdie
xx
Paths and small decking area...

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2007, 12:47
by VickyR
clip
Comfrey in Garden Area

Started by wcndave on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 11, 2023, 11:18
by wcndave
xx
New Garden, Raised Beds, Greenhouse and Allotment area - where do I start !

Started by lowermeadow on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 09:38
by John

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 30 queries.