Leeks

• 27 Replies

gobs

Leeks
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 21:20 »
Yep, you can earth them up if you are after leek whites, beyond me though why anybody is or would be. :?

You can use the greens same as the whites - much more healthy by the way - I can't see reason or anything behind this other than fancy ignorance.

Someone should put me right. So why do we need the leeks white, please? :?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Bombers

Leeks
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 21:28 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Yep, you can earth them up if you are after leek whites, beyond me though why anybody is or would be. :?

You can use the greens same as the whites - much more healthy by the way - I can't see reason or anything behind this other than fancy ignorance.

Someone should put me right. So why do we need the leeks white, please? :?

Oh.. I always thought there's more taste in the white bit, and it's deffo softer. :)  :?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

gobs

Leeks
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 21:35 »
Yes, it is softer, especially if you grow big, old, monster leeks but much less flavour for real.

des

Leeks
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 21:36 »
Quote from: "Elcie"
They look great.  Would be interested to hear why they have holes around them?

I planted mine in July time and they look a nice size now.  Have read little bits about too much green/not enough white.  Is there anything we can do with leeks to encourage more white growth?

There was a chap on the 'Big Dig' programme on TV - he was slotting short lengths of one and a half inch waste pipe over his leaks in order to get more white.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Leeks
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 23:43 »
That's Terry Walton.  He does a cracking pod cast (apart from his singing).  You can find him on itunes.  He also has s spot on a radio show but I can't remember which one.  Jeremy Vine?

My leeks were planted in July but are in a terrible mess following an infestation of a dastardly worm.  Most of our site is infested now.  Perhaps planting leeks this late will keep them small but you should keep the whole crop.  I'll have to process and freeze all mine before November if I am to keep them.

Let us know how you get on.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Leeks
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 06:18 »
Nutritional agruements aside, surely anything in the hole tends to be compact and more tender, above ground you get open & tougher leaves, this is the bit where the soil gets in and can be a s*d to wash out.

Adds a bit of crunch to your dish though! I'd go for the deeper the hole, the more useable leek you get anyday.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GaryH

• Experienced Member
    • meandmyplot
Leeks
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 10:56 »
Hello corynsboy

Just looked on your site, your Brassicas look amazing, how did you keep them so clean and bite free.

On the Leek front, granted they are late in, but thought I would give it a try.

Will try again properly next year.
Thanks

yummy

Leeks
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 19:43 »
I planted mine out in trenches but forgot to earth them up. I dug one up last weekend and only about 2 inches of white on em now  :oops:

Might try the holes instead next time - thanks

des

Leeks
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 23:33 »
Quote from: "corynsboy"
That's Terry Walton.  He does a cracking pod cast (apart from his singing).  You can find him on itunes.  He also has s spot on a radio show but I can't remember which one.  Jeremy Vine?

My leeks were planted in July but are in a terrible mess following an infestation of a dastardly worm.  Most of our site is infested now.  Perhaps planting leeks this late will keep them small but you should keep the whole crop.  I'll have to process and freeze all mine before November if I am to keep them.

Let us know how you get on.

blooming heck! that's right - I knew that I knew his voice from somewhere. Jeremy Vine it is.

woodburner

Leeks
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 00:26 »
In Iran they grow leeks completely differently. They grow them for the greens and harvest by cutting below ground like asparagus. They harvest several times through the year, as they regrow, not letting the leaves get too big and course before cutting again.  (About as thick as very course grass.)

The fine greens are eaten raw as part of a green salad with mint, parsley, basil, French tarragon, rocket, and some others that I still haven't been able to identify. :(

They are also chopped fine with a different mix of herbs (including parsley corriander leaf, and I think fenugreek) and used in cooking. (Ghormeh sabzi) The leek greens can be slightly courser for coking but still a fraction of the size we grow them to here.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

sheridal

• Experienced Member
Leeks
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 08:17 »
I have used toilet rolls, instead of drainpipe, which I found from this link

loo rolls

From my basic biology even if the loo roll goes over green parts it will in time turn white as the plant loses its chloroplasts when the leaves can't see light for a long time. (hence weeds turn pale when covered)

Elcie

Leeks
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 10:15 »
Quote from: "sheridal"
I have used toilet rolls, instead of drainpipe, which I found from this link

loo rolls

From my basic biology even if the loo roll goes over green parts it will in time turn white as the plant loses its chloroplasts when the leaves can't see light for a long time. (hence weeds turn pale when covered)

Interesting.  Wonder if that would work if I tried it now.  My leeks have been in a couple of months.  Guess there is no harm in trying.  Might end up a bit soggy though!  But wouldn't have thought they would do the soil any harm.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Leeks
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 10:59 »
Hi GaryH
Thanks for stopping by the blog.  

I was just lucky with the brassicas this year.  I think the key thing was the wet weather.  We cleared the the ground of weeds and  planted them right away.  I do remember making sure the ground was very firm before I started.    We had excellent broccoli and cauliflowers and the sprouts and PSB I have great hopes for.  Water often and taking off yellowing leaves seems to help and I understand that I have to net them in Winter.

Everything was a bit rushed this year, whilst the leeks have suffered as a result of this rushing the brassicas have flourished.   Huh!

xx
Leeks

Started by parttimer on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 22:58
by Auntiemogs
xx
Leeks

Started by MICK WARREN on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 15:35
by slowcompost
xx
Leeks

Started by Judithm on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 18:35
by fatcat1955
clip
Leeks - is this bad

Started by martcol on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 22:26
by Dev

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 28 queries.