Leeks

• 27 Replies

GaryH

• Experienced Member
    • meandmyplot
Leeks
« on: October 16, 2008, 15:21 »
Here is my Leek bed. All in their holes standing to attention.
Hopefully, they should swell to the size of the hole.
Dug a spade down, turned, then added Fish, Blood and Bone and then some rotten manure and then hoed.
Any feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks

paintedlady

Leeks
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 15:50 »
Isn't it getting a bit late for planting out leeks?  Mine went in about mid-July for harvest late autumn & over winter.  :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

compostqueen

Leeks
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 15:55 »
well done that man  :D

Me being a lazy old wotsit, don't prepare my soil at all for leeks and put the plants into unbroken ground.  I do make a hole first though, with an old walking stick or bulb planter.  I do plant leeklets which are larger than normal, letting them grow on a bit in their pots, as with undug soil they have to be able to cope with the less than favourable conditions

I do the same with celeriac, use it as a soil breaker-upper

crowndale

Leeks
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 16:07 »
Just harvested my first three leeks, will be eaten tonight no doubt!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Leeks
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 17:20 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
Isn't it getting a bit late for planting out leeks?  Mine went in about mid-July for harvest late autumn & over winter.  :wink:

I would agree with that, days are getting shorter & colder, not much growing time left.

You'll probably get some nice, tender, albeit small ones, Gary, but they should really have gone out months ago. We are also digging ours.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Mog

Leeks
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 18:06 »
Mine were standing tall, but spindly until about 20 minutes ago.  I planted them out about 6 weeks ago.

Next door's cat, a lovely moggie and good friend to our cat and us just went doolally on the leeks!  I was picking cavalo nero so perhaps he was jealous but he just rolled and dug and rolled and giggled and dug.  At the end I was picking him up by the scruff and depositing him very gently on the path, only for him to run back and do it again.  The last time I saw anything like it it was as a reaction to catmint.  Aaaarghhh!

I'd only planted about 25 because we just have a couple of raised beds so about 50% have been flattened/broken.

Sorry to hijack a thread but should I leave the damaged ones and hope for the best or just cut my losses and clear and fert for next year?  I am amzed by how upset I am, feels like the garden has been vandalised!

And no, I didn't hurt him at all :evil:
Mog

Bombers

Leeks
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 18:56 »
Planted last September.....

Harvested February/March. :wink:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Leeks
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 19:23 »
Good luck with your leeks :D
Mine died :cry:
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Leeks
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 19:33 »
Gary you will be please to know you are not alone!  Watched Carole on TV planting leeks and I did the same with a tray I found in the garden !!!!  :wink:

Went home on saturday feeling all smug to go back on sunday to find the whole lot dug out by foxes  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: ( who I am told were looking for worms )  :shock:

.... I was also told to pee on the land to send message to said fox to go *** elsewhere  :lol:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

Minty

• Experienced Member
Leeks
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 19:43 »
As we only got our plot not long ago we were a bit behind with stuff and a friend gave us a tray of what looked like small blades of grass.We have done the same as you a few weeks ago and now have a nice crop coming along so I hope your as lucky with your crop as we have been so far.

Bombers

Leeks
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 19:45 »
Quote from: "flowerlady"

.... I was also told to pee on the land to send message to said fox to go *** elsewhere  :lol:

Think you need OH/Boyfriend to do that for you FL  :wink:

Elcie

Leeks
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 20:16 »
They look great.  Would be interested to hear why they have holes around them?

I planted mine in July time and they look a nice size now.  Have read little bits about too much green/not enough white.  Is there anything we can do with leeks to encourage more white growth?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Leeks
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 20:19 »
Quote from: "Elcie"

I planted mine in July time and they look a nice size now.  Have read little bits about too much green/not enough white.  Is there anything we can do with leeks to encourage more white growth?

You "dib" a hole about 6" deep & drop the leek into it. The hole will fill in naturally and all the leek in that hole will be blanched.

Elcie

Leeks
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 20:20 »
Quote from: "DD."

You "dib" a hole about 6" deep & drop the leek into it. The hole will fill in naturally and all the leek in that hole will be blanched.

At least I know for next year!  I planted them the same as I did the onions which was tips in and cover with soil.  Is it too late for blanching now?  If so, does anyone have any suggestions of what to do with lots of leek greens!!

Bombers

Leeks
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 20:32 »
Quote from: "DD."

At least I know for next year!  I planted them the same as I did the onions which was tips in and cover with soil.  Is it too late for blanching now?  If so, does anyone have any suggestions of what to do with lots of leek greens!!

Bank the soil up around the leeks. That will help :wink:

xx
LEEKS

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 16, 2016, 09:00
by Flump
xx
Leeks

Started by Minty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 14:32
by Minty
xx
sad leeks

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 08:22
by Beetroot queen
xx
leeks

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2006, 09:46
by mellowmick

Page created in 0.763 seconds with 36 queries.