Unidentified raspberry bushes

• 5 Replies

Touché Turtle

Unidentified raspberry bushes
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:29 »
Hello all,
I've been (quiet) member of the forum for some time, as a chicken keeper, but now I'm also an allotment holder.. hurrah!

My quick question relates to the rasperry bushes on my new plot. There are 5 tucked away at the end, but I don't know if they're summer or autumn varieties, so don't know whether I should cut them back or not.
I believe that cutting back summer ones stops them fruiting the following year, but will it hurt autumn ones to NOT be cut back? Should I just leave them be until they fruit?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks, TT
Touché Away......!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Unidentified raspberry bushes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 10:36 »
If you can see the remains of flowers/fruit on any of the stems then cut those ones out now - this applies to Summer and Autumn ones, so quite safe  ;)

If you can't then you'll have to wait and see what happens. .....they'll look a bit scrappy next year without pruning, but you will get some fruit whatever type they are.

Poolcue

• Peter's garden and allotment
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 14:25 »
Ask an allotment neighbour when they flowered this year.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 23:47 »
If you can see the remains of flowers/fruit on any of the stems then cut those ones out now - this applies to Summer and Autumn ones, so quite safe  ;)

Follow this advice and you cannot be wrong. If they are autumn raspberries that will be every stem.

As a rule Autumn varieties only usually grow to about 4 ft and need minimum support. Summer varieties grow to 5/6 ft and will usually have a support frame of some sort.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:45 »
As a rule Autumn varieties only usually grow to about 4 ft and need minimum support. Summer varieties grow to 5/6 ft and will usually have a support frame of some sort.

Can only speak for Autumn Bliss but mine mostly grow taller than me (6')
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Touché Turtle

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 16:38 »
Thank you for the advice folks. I shall look closely for remains of fruit when I pop down there tomorrow (rain allowing), although I would have thought any fruit would be well over by now?  I think they must be autumn ones anyway as they're quite short stems, hadn't realised summer ones were much taller.

xx
Which Raspberry Bushes?

Started by Rexmundi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 08:48
by RJR_38
xx
Can you get raspberry bushes?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 09:46
by mumofstig
xx
Overgrown Raspberry Bushes.

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 12:26
by MyAchingBack
xx
When can I move my raspberry bushes?

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 18:23
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 39 queries.