« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2015, 21:39 »
How wonderful to be so in tune with your meat Beeskissed,thank you for sharing😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beekissed

Re: Anybody free range?
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 02:20 »
This is the time of year when free ranging really gets chickens ready for winter time.  The forage they glean at this time of the year is high quality and loaded with proteins and fat.  A lot of grass and weed seeds, fruit, grasshoppers and crickets are making more of an appearance, etc.   The tall fescue and white dutch clover increases in sugar content as the weather turns cooler.

Feed consumption in the coop goes down, much like it does in the spring.  I get to supplement their diet with garden and canning scraps and when the garden is done for the year, I let them into the fence and they glean even more nutrition.   

The juveniles grow big and put on fat during this time, which gets them ready for butcher time in late October/early November.  Last year I had the fattest cockerels I've ever raised and they were eating almost entirely on foraged feed for the last few months of their lives.  Males don't often store fat but these had...it was all over their body, under the skin, around their organs, etc.  Didn't cost me anything to get them that way either, which is a bonus.

I hope everyone is having successful free ranging out there!  Take advantage of the season, as it won't last long. 

LILLILEAF

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 05:52 »
Hi
I would love to have my hens free range,but there is a huge fox problem here,if i let my hens out it would be like ringing the dinner bell,i take all my greens from the garden to the hens,that way they stay a live and they get some greenery,its the best i can do,my friend down the road has lost at least 60 hens to the fox,they only go out when the owners are at home.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 11:47 »
Pretty much the same here, just south of Caernarfon. Foxes galore and buzzards in the air. I thought about electric fencing but worried about the cats, especially the blind one.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Beekissed

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 12:36 »
Hi
I would love to have my hens free range,but there is a huge fox problem here,if i let my hens out it would be like ringing the dinner bell,i take all my greens from the garden to the hens,that way they stay a live and they get some greenery,its the best i can do,my friend down the road has lost at least 60 hens to the fox,they only go out when the owners are at home.

I couldn't free range here either without my dogs on guard.  It's really the only way it's done effectively in the middle of this forest.  I'd say folks who have lost 60 hens to foxes are slow learners....I've been free ranging for 40 yrs and haven't lost more than 10 birds to predators in all that time.  All of those were to aerial predators, not foxes. 

Beekissed

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 09:37 »
The good foraging for the year is soon to be over until the spring season, though October is the best foraging month of the year here, IMO.  The birds are packing in grass seeds, clover, bugs and grubs galore while the temps are still warm in the day. 

The migratory hawks are moving through, so this starts a dangerous ranging time.  The month of September had us getting raided at dusk and early morning by a local great horned owl pair but they seem to have moved on.  They pretty much cleared the meadow of our resident rabbits, most of the squirrels and a good many of my young cockerels, not to mention injuring two of my older hens unto death, though the dogs foiled their getaway for three of the birds...Ben sustained a cut on his face in that melee.  That was the worst aerial predation I've sustained in any flock of mine in the past 40 yrs. 

God replaced my missing flock members, though, with a gift of birds out of left field as my sister decided to get out of chickens.  She gave me 17 birds, mostly older and nonlaying hens that I can put in a jar for winter soups but among those are 5 soon to be POL Black Australorps that will replenish my layers that have been taken this season. 

God is good that way and He works in truly mysterious ways.  I had started to get a little anxious with the level of predation on the flock this year, wondering if I would have enough birds for meat and also enough hens to take through the winter and for laying, but He soon reminded me to trust in Him and be anxious for nothing.  And so I did.... and He blessed me with just what I was needing...meat for the winter and replacement layers.  I love how my Father provides for me...it's always interesting and amazing how He works it all out!   :)

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 20:12 »
wonderful pictures, your birds are absolutely glowing. its good to see someone that enjoys their birds for both eggs and meat. my hens free range around our farm. over the years a few have been taken by either foxes or buzzards. it always seems to be hens in their prime.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2016, 22:04 »
Surprised to read you have foxes on Anglesey :ohmy:. We used to visit up there some 20 years ago and I was told they had all been cleared, farmers had trapped/shot the lot. So what happened?
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 19:22 »
foxes are very clever and certainly can use bridges like the rest of us. urban foxes are often trapped in towns and cities and dumped illegally in the countryside. these poor foxes have no idea how to hunt because they have been used to foraging bins etc.

xx
Chicks that Free Range

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 20:28
by woodburner
xx
Free Range - new hens

Started by mrssue on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 11:17
by mrssue
xx
When is it safe to free range?

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 15:48
by janeheritage
xx
Free Range Hybrids

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 08:05
by Sassy

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 41 queries.