chickens not going to bed

• 6 Replies

cflossy

« on: April 24, 2007, 14:14 »
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this site but have found it so far to be great and everyone seems to be very informed about things. I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice regarding my chickens.
We have had them for just over 2 weeks now and are 12 weeks old, (6 Black Rocks) they all seem fine and have settled in great, but just one thing - they can't seem to grasp bedtime!!
We have a house raised off the ground within a run 12ft x 8 ft x 7ft high and when it just starts to get dusk all the chickens fly on top of the house for a quick groom before settling down there to sleep. We've been going in and picking them up and putting in the house - after a quick chase around the run, we've tried putting some corn on the ladder to the pop hole, some in the house, and have also tried leaving them until dark just in case we've been too early in putting them to bed but they just stay on the roof quite happily.
I don't think they are scard of going in there because as soon as they are in they perch straight away and also go in quite freely throughout the day to have a nap or get in the shade.
The guy we brought them from said we just have to be persistent but I would have thought they would have got the jist by now, wouldn't they?
Could any one tell me if they had the same problem or am I just being over anxious?
We're due to go away for a night in 3 weeks time and would really like them to be going to bed automatilcally so our neighbour can just shut the pophole for us;.
Any help gratefully received
Many thanks
Claire

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 14:20 »
Hi cflossy, welcome to the forum.  I keep chickens, but I'm afraid I can't help you, as none of mine have ever gone more than a couple of days before going in at night on their own!

rgp5454

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 17:07 »
Hiya Cflossy,
I had the same sort of problem when I first started to keep chickens. The way I got around it was to open my coop door wide and round up the chickens with the aid of a 8ft bamboo before they started to roost for the night. After a while they will know where to go to roost. I also feed and water my chicks outside all day so when it is bedtime I take the food and water inside with them, which will also encourage them inside. By the way welcome to the site.
*Any person offended by the content of the above post can be assured it was 100% intentional.
Stop being oversensitive and taking an internet forum too seriously!*

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 21:12 »
try a torch from the inside shining out,this has worked for me in the past the chickens are attracted to the torch light. Good luck -I am sure it will turn our OK after all you chickens are still quite young. :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 22:18 »
I'll second the torch trick.  I used it to persuade my chooks into their eglu at night for the first week or so  :D

Kerry

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 08:25 »
It took a good three weeks for Thelma and Louise to go in on their own. I kept going in the run every night to lift them off the top of the coop and put them in it. They did get the hang of it in the end, which coincided with the outside Christmas lights coming down so maybe that was keeping them up.

Louise still comes out to say hello sometimes when I go to shut them in. She's so nosey, thinks she's missing out on something  :lol:
Mondays are just weeds in the lawn of life !

cflossy

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 10:11 »
thanks everyone for your speedy advice and warm welcome, I will definately try the torch method tonight and see how that goes. I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one who had problems in the beginning - will keep you posted.  :D

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
New to the chickens

Started by Jennywa on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 01, 2011, 14:34
by joyfull

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 30 queries.