Overwintering onions - a few looking like they're about to flower

• 16 Replies

mark0912

You would not store over-wintering onions for winter in any event. They are not long term storers and are more of a stop-gap between last year's spring planted onions running out & this year's maturing.

2 or 3 months storage is the best you can hope for generally.

thanks snoop. my question wasnt that clear. I put onions in last autumn to overwinter and they are doing well. however i planted them with the aim of providing onions for the winter to come as well as this summer...but i now find they will not store well and so should have planted onions in the spring to keep in the winter months.

My lotti neighbour has planted some onions from sets and some from seed and the seed seem to be doing much better and they already look tastier! So my question should have been can i still plant onions from seed to store for this coming winter? If not will sets still do well?

Snoop

Hi mark0912,

I've been away for a bit and am now catching up, so apologies for the delay. I was hoping someone more expert or more local to you than I am would reply. Maybe you've had some advice from someone on your allotment site, but here's my thoughts anyway.

I've just finished planting out my onion sets. This is a month later  than last year. Looking at the vegetable seed growing guide from Marshall's, I see they recommend sowing onions outside up till April. Given that this has been a cold year for everyone, I reckon that can be extended a bit so I'd give it a go. Your biggest difficulty will be keeping the soil moist as the seeds germinate if the weather starts to warm up.

Your onions might not get to be absolute whoppers if you're starting a bit later than everyone else, but I imagine it's worth a try. It'll also mean that you'll have a chance to properly clear the bed of weeds rather than getting caught out by germinating weed seeds. And both you and the onions will be grateful for that!

xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
overwintering onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 05, 2021, 10:58
by Goosegirl
xx
Overwintering onions are in.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 10:31
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Overwintering onions

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 18:55
by beansticks

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 28 queries.