self blanching celery

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

self blanching celery
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:13 »
I'm going to have another go at growing celery this year although we managed to get some celery last year it wasn't that great so i thought take a look on youtube I mite get a few tips and i found amongst others Monty
 D growing celery and it was said  Celery needs to be set quite close to make it blanch ?

so i thought when i grow celery in our raised beds this year I'm putting some  black plastic sheeting  round the bed to see if this would encourage the celery to blanch better just a thought mite work then on the other hand mite not :unsure: anyway I'm going to give it a try any comments on this topic most welcome

Christine

Re: self blanching celery
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 12:33 »
Needs loadsa water all the time. It's basically nearly but not quite a bog plant.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 13:40 »
I grew some last year in troughs which had reservoirs in the base.  They were a self blanching type and did really well.

It depends how much you want, but I found 2 troughs with 4 plants in each gave us plenty.  I just pulled sticks from the outsides of the plants when I needed them over summer and autumn. 

I didn’t have room for them in the greenhouse over winter, so I picked the lot and dried it in the dehydrator.  Another idea I saw was to cook chopped onion, celery and carrot together and freeze it in small batches for starting stews and soups over winter.  I didn’t try that one, but I might do this year.  I got a load of mushrooms free from work as the labels were incorrect, so they were given to staff.  I chopped them up and fried them with onion and garlic, then froze in batches.  They have been great to have on hand  :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 10:41 »
that sounds like a good idea to try new shoot although we did have better results from growing celeriac and its kept well to

xx
Self-blanching celery

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 20:54
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Self-blanching celery

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 22:12
by fatcat1955
xx
Blanching Celery

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 16:01
by Trillium
xx
Self blanching celery

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 23:40
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 40 queries.