Stirring wine.

• 10 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Stirring wine.
« on: July 23, 2009, 20:28 »
The CJJ Berry book I have says I should stir the must everyday. Is this just when it is in the primary fermentor or also when it is in the demijohn (which doesn't seem that easy)? Sure this is a stupid question, but if you don't know the answer...
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Stirring wine.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 20:29 »
PS Obviously I'm not stirring it while I'm waiting for it to clear but what about while it is still fermenting?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 20:50 »
Primary fermentor? :ohmy:  I put it all straight into the demijohn.  Someone answer Kate's question please. :(
Cheese makes everything better.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 21:21 »
Glad it's not just me that is clueless! :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 19:45 »
I'll put my neck on the line again  ::) :D

In the primary, it's to get everything mixed up and some oxygen mixed into the must so the yeast multiplies.

In the secondary, it's anaerobic, so there's no oxygen to mix in. You can, however, give the demijohn a swill round carefully to get things going a bit. Unless you're not meant to, in which case I've boobed.  :wub:

Suppose once it clears, you don't want to stir things up though.

Rob 8)

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 21:36 »
When in the primary give it a mix every day, when you transfer to the secondary theres no need to keep stiring it. In fact would prob be best not to give it a chance to start settling. And of course once it has finished fermenting transfer to clean demijohn and def don't stir.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 22:19 »
Once it stops bubbling for a day or two, would you transfer to a new air-locked demijohn or drop in a couple of camdens and rack on ?

Rob 8)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 00:00 »
Another reason for stirring the must in the primary, is if you are using fresh fruit and it sits on top of the juice and water, it can start going mouldy, but if you stir it, it doesn't.

If my wine stops fermenting and I don't think its ready for racking, I put it near a heat source to help get it started again.  Sunny windowsill or near the fire.  I don't like using too many campden tablets, they give the wine a funny taste.

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 09:29 »
Cheers Ann. I'll give it another couple of days. It's plenty warm enough so must be near the end.

Hijack over  :D

Rob 8)

SG6

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 18:52 »
When in the bucket (primary) stir daily, or more, use a wooden or plastic spoon.

If you don't then mould will start to grow on the floating material before its time is up.
Also it allows the process to get more of everything out of the fruit or whatever.

After that strain into a demijohn, fit airlock and allow to bubble away to completion without disturbing it. You want the fine particals to separate out and form a sediment on the bottom and the wine to clear.

When happy with that process and if clear enough you can either transfer to another demijohn or bottle. Its up to you.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 22:09 »
Thanks all.

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
Pea Pod Wine

Started by rock_chick on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 19:37
by rock_chick
xx
More wine help please

Started by grinling on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 19:52
by grinling
xx
Wine from old jam.....

Started by jacnal on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post July 24, 2007, 00:10
by wisp

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 33 queries.