Cape Gooseberries

• 16 Replies

sclarke624

Cape Gooseberries
« on: April 05, 2007, 20:35 »
Silly question are Cape gooseberries the same thing as gooseberries which are the green hairy things you used to get in cans of fruit cocktail?
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 20:47 »
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sclarke624

Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 20:51 »
they sound interesting then cos I can't stand gooseberries. :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 20:55 »
Me neither, orrible berries and then orrible thorns to stop you eating the orrible berries, which you didn't want to eat in the first place  :lol:

WG.

Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 20:59 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Me neither, orrible berries and then orrible thorns to stop you eating the orrible berries, which you didn't want to eat in the first place  :lol:
You've obviously never tasted home-made gooseberry jam!  Reminds me, it goes great with smoked mackeral

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 21:04 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
You've obviously never tasted home-made gooseberry jam!  Reminds me, it goes great with smoked mackeral

No thanks mate can't abide them. Goosberries that is, love smoked mackeral can't remember the last time I had it, must remember to go to the fish market in town soon.  :)

WG.

Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 21:20 »
 love smoked mackeral can't remember the last time I had it, must remember to go to the fish market in town soon.  :)

V. Good with horseradish relish too !

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 21:25 »
 love smoked mackeral can't remember the last time I had it, must remember to go to the fish market in town soon.  :)

V. Good with horseradish relish too !

Never tried horseradish bit hot isnt it ? don't like hot much, no curries etc in our house  :lol:

Must remember to ask Shaun for a cutting NOT  :lol:

sclarke624

Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 21:52 »
Ha! me neither can't stand curry, celery, peanuts, coconut, yoghurt, pears, kiwi fruit, melon, grapes, all the things most people love. Must confess though love horseradish.   :lol:

agapanthus

Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 22:51 »

mmmm.....YUM!!

king cauli

• Experienced Member
Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 23:16 »
he,he shaun thought they were gooseberries too :lol: they are  a type of physalis,tasty little berries inside the lantern,grow well on out plot and are great if you wanna save the seed for next season :)
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/th_thc.jpg[/img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/caulicow.jpg[/img]

crowndale

Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 07:49 »
Are they the kind of thing you can grow in the north of england?  they sound interesting but have never tried them before (to eat or grow).  And goosegogs don't need to be either green or thorny.  I have just planted  goosegog Pax bush which have no thorns (or very few) and are purple.  yum.   :D

Mind you I'm with the comment of celery, yeuch! If there was ever a more pointless vegetable on the earth!  Then again I have tasted durian, admittedly a fruit not a vege, now THERE's a truly pointless 'edible' thing.  Blech!  :shock:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

WG.

Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 08:03 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
Then again I have tasted durian, admittedly a fruit not a vege, now THERE's a truly pointless 'edible' thing.  Blech!  :shock:
Ah yes, durian.  If you are into slurping a slimy mess which smells more-than-a-bit like a fouled nappy, then durian is just the thing for you.

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 08:47 »
I got some growing at the moment - trying them for the first time. Have got tiny little seedlings at the moment but I am hoping they will do ok.
I love them when I buy them in the shops but they are quite expensive so fingers crossed I can get these going.

I am planning to grow them in the greenhouse. Does anyone grow them outside? (I live in Milton Keynes)
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

crowndale

Cape Gooseberries
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 14:38 »
I hope Lentil that you are talking about cape goosegos and not durian?!  :shock:

The one an only time I came close to eating durian I was pregnant with  no. 1 son and had not long flown into hong kong to visit relatives.  I was left home one day because I was feeling ill after the flight (22 hours long haul while preggers is not to be recommneded).  I got a bit peckish and opened a tub of of what looked like cooked chicken but when opened knocked me back with a smell so appalling that I assumed the chicken had gone off (MIL is prone to keeping food well past its use by date!). I threw the contents in the bin.  MIL was horrified that I would do such a thing with her favourite fruit!  

yuck, yuck and again yuck, the memory is still as fresh today as it was 20 years ago!

xx
Cape gooseberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 18:53
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Cape gooseberries- new to me.

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 20:59
by vet
xx
Cape Gooseberries

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 00:35
by tam
xx
Cape gooseberries! Another...

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 22:25
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 29 queries.