A SIMPLE QUESTION ABOUT RHUBARB.

• 26 Replies

8doubles

Re: A SIMPLE QUESTION ABOUT RHUBARB.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 18:36 »
Rhubarb is originally from Siberia, I doubt the frost will do much damage as we do not get anything like the true permafrost they witness every year.

They also get two metres of snow on top to protect it !  :)

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 10:57 »
8doubles where in Wales do you experience permafrost?       
Do you really need al that lettuce/

8doubles

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 11:57 »
8doubles where in Wales do you experience permafrost?     

Luckily here in Milford Haven serious frosts are not common (famous last words) but we just had a nasty hailstorm ! :)

I know permafrost really means 365 days frozen but even in sunny Hants where i used to live the frost could stay in the ground for over a month .
To be honest run of the mill frosts could do more damage as the freeze-thaw-freeze cycle is what brings down mountains.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 16:21 »
It just feels like permafrost when you are out there in January, trying to get the digging done  :lol:

As mine is very early, it has been caught out by snow or heavy frosts some winters, especially when there has been a mild start, then the weather suddenly bites you in the bum come January or February.    It does blacken the odd leaf edge, but the rhubarb shrugs it off and is fine. 

Just as well, as I think we could be in for this weather pattern again this year  ::)

lettice

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 12:48 »
I don't even take the leaves off... They rot so quickly and provide extra food in my experience :)

I do the same from September, when you feel its time to stop picking and the remaining are looking a bit straggly, just break the leaves off and spread around the rhubarb crown.
The crowns are all just brown stubs now.
I do throw veg peelings around them over the winter rather than manure, it always rots quickly around the rhubarb. I'm sure the plants have arms and drag it in quicker.

I thought you only covered them to force early and should only do it say every few years at minimum.
But down here they start cropping in March/April and continue to end Sep.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:53 by lettice »

3759allen

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 15:04 »
i think unless you are experimenting with forcing just leave them to get on with it.

i leave my leaves and stalks to rot off and leave them where they lay, just put a bit of mulch road if you have some spare.

they seem the easiest and most low maintenance fruit going.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 12:03 »

::)
Here is another hoary old question about covering rhubarb crowns or not!¬

About three years ago I accompanied a pal on a visit to his granddads small farm for a visit!
He had an old fashioned byre with a run off channel at one end for cows urine and some slurry!

There was a massive bed of rhubarb growing in the swampy soil and slurry, from what I could see the crowns were well covered with the gunge.

Didn't think about it at the time but when it comes up here, I find some answers completely at odds with what I saw as the massive clump must had been there growing for yonks!

And I have covered my crowns with manure or compost when I have top dressed my rhubarb!
STOP, and smell the roses!

8doubles

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 14:33 »

::)
Here is another hoary old question about covering rhubarb crowns or not!¬

About three years ago I accompanied a pal on a visit to his granddads small farm for a visit!
He had an old fashioned byre with a run off channel at one end for cows urine and some slurry!

There was a massive bed of rhubarb growing in the swampy soil and slurry, from what I could see the crowns were well covered with the gunge.

Didn't think about it at the time but when it comes up here, I find some answers completely at odds with what I saw as the massive clump must had been there growing for yonks!

And I have covered my crowns with manure or compost when I have top dressed my rhubarb!

Sounds like rhubarb heaven !

I always grow mine next to the compost heap so it benefits from any run off or leaching ! :)

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 19:27 »

Sounds like rhubarb heaven !

I always grow mine next to the compost heap so it benefits from any run off or leaching ! :)

UGH!!

And to think the world is going to come to an end if someone dares to use a handful of growmore or a few slug pellets, especially when rhubarb is grown like this!

:D

trunk monkey

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 18:36 »
Advice from Thompson and Morgan:-"When the leaves die back naturally, simply cut back the old rhubarb stalks to leave the buds exposed to cold winter weather. Apply a mulch of well rotted manure around the crown of the plant. This will help to conserve moisture in the soil and keep the weeds down, as well as feeding the plants for the following growing season. Take care not to cover the crown as this may cause it to rot." Hope this adds to the confusion Trunkie :)

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 13:23 »
What a wonderful array of advice on rhubarb!!  You could write a book on it!  I find it helps to grow the 'set' on a mound of soil with plenty of grit in the soil if heavy with clay.  I have eight plants on my plot, cannot get enough of it! although my partner would not agree.

Mike.

chrissie B

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 23:33 »
I just pull away any sad looking stems as they decay then pop some soil on the top and they do fine .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

xx
simple pot question )

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 08:40
by Iain@JBA
xx
simple potato question

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 17:11
by mushroom
xx
Sorry for a simple question about onions.

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 09:49
by JayG
xx
Simple summer raspberry question.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 11:51
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 30 queries.