Have I lost my onions?

• 4 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Have I lost my onions?
« on: March 17, 2013, 09:37 »
Perhaps rather naively I planted out my onion sets in those lovely warm few days we had, thinking that spring was coming. Since then it has been very wet here with a few nights of frost. I am now worried that all my sets will bolt. Would I be better off re-buying and planting them in a couple of weeks or should I just take the gamble?

BabbyAnn

Re: Have I lost my onions?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 17:46 »
The sets will cope with wet weather, and even the odd light frost (particularly if they haven't started to grow yet) - but the risk of them bolting does increase if the weather doesn't improve and takes a turn for the worse.  But there's no way of knowing whether they will bolt or not and the gamble is yours I'm afraid.  As a bag of sets from somewhere like Wilkos is not that expensive, you could put it down to experience and replace them or keep your fingers crossed on the ones already planted.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 18:31 »
They haven't started growing (they only had a day and a half of warmth before it turned horrid again). So maybe I should see what happens this week and maybe take the risk with my sturon - I haven't planted my Red Baron yet luckily as they haven't arrived because I opted for heat treated rather than cheap bag from wilko which I did with my sturon. So annoying!

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 12:37 »
I'm in a similar position. Planted mine in little fibre pots with compost on 1/3/13 when the weather was glorious, and left them outside with no covering (don't have a greenhouse and there is no room indoors).

My thoughts were that they would be warmer in the little pots than in the ground - don't know if my theory is correct!

I really didn't expect the weather to have taken such a nasty turn with the recent prolonged damp and cold conditions.

I have bought a fleece tunnel over the weekend and I think I will pop them in it as soon as I can. I'm hoping after that, they will still be ok.
Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:05 »
My suggestion would be if they have not started to grow then retrieve them. Sit them on a damp bed of compost in a seed tray and wait for the warm weather and plant again. Probably by then they will have started a root system, and they will be none the wiser.
That's where mine are at the moment.

xx
lost onions

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 10:45
by compostqueen
xx
onions gone bad anyone else lost theres

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 14:21
by alfman
xx
Lost almost everything :(

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 22:51
by seaside
xx
lost veg

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 22:52
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 28 queries.