Japanese onions

• 7 Replies

Christine

Japanese onions
« on: February 22, 2009, 18:22 »
Planted some next to the garlic last November. Garlic is fine. The onions have either rotted, not taken root or gone all squidgy.  The soil was well composted after the last crop, drains ok and has not had standing water this winter. They were doing reasonably well till the snow arrived.

I don't usually have trouble with onions - so tell me what I might have done wrong.

I may say that I've removed the last half dozen and hoed over the space will get replanted with something in a few weeks. The runner beans did brilliantly in the space which is relatively sheltered.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: Japanese onions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 19:23 »
I'm afraid I can't help much but just wanted to comisserate as I have had the same problem. First time I have done overwintering onions, not sure if i will bother next year. Garlic hasn't come up at all, except one shoot. :(
Rachael

MARROW HEAD

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 19:31 »
Sorry, but theres not really much you can do.

It appears, as on my allotment, that our whole site has had problems with the onions rotting, it is not only you.  :)

SG6

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 19:55 »
Not to upset anyone but all of mine, about 50, are doing fine.  :tongue2: They got frozen and wilted,  ??? then when it thawed they recovered  :). Then they say under the snow  :( and I looked at them today and all are fine.  :D :D

Don't abandon the garlic, I have a row of 5 that have come up, I planted 6. Today I could just see the 6th breaking through. So they may appear.

gingercharlie

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 21:57 »
set 75 myself and nearly all rotted or gone soggy.

susie

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:04 »
The advise I was given by our allotment shop was to plant on top of a mound, as they do not like to get too wet.
Did this, and our seem ok, even though some of our beds a waterlogged.
Good luck for next winter.

Christine

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 20:41 »
My were at the top of a slope which should drain downhill. I'll take note Suzie though.

However this afternoon I went into the local garden centre for some more sets to plant in next couple of weeks, pulled a face and said "all my winter onions failed" and two of the senior staff said "so did mine" in unison. But they both had garlic growing.

Pass. As another allotment holder said "that's gardening" which I think is probably the answer.  :unsure:

yummy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 21:11 »
Ours rotted last year. This year they don't look great to me either. I need to pull one up and have a look.

xx
Japanese onions

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 21:01
by Jeanieblue
xx
Japanese onions

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 15:48
by DD.
xx
Japanese onions

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 18:41
by Remy
xx
Japanese Onions...

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 15:52
by noshed

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 32 queries.