more ex-bats & their problems!

• 3 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
more ex-bats & their problems!
« on: March 26, 2010, 13:25 »
Well, it's that time of year again down here in Dorset and Taylors RSPCA had another batch of ex-bats looking for homes. I said I could take another 3 but came home with 4 to join my remaining 4 from last year. This year the farm said they'd found us a nice lot but I must admit to being a little disappointed at finding them all well feathered - although the weather was so bad on the day we picked them up they were probably very glad of their downy quilts!

Its been an eventful week introducing the newbies to the old girls but all are now free ranging together with minimal fisticuffs - next step is to move the newbies into the main ark one night...

However, as with any ex-bats, there are a couple of problems. Rusty is ejecting very watery droppings with just a small amount of substance, although she looks and seems a very healthy girl otherwise. She seems to be eating ok (smallholder range ex-bats pellets blitzed in the blender to break them up small, and greenery and unsuspecting grubs, insects, worms, etc - she's a natural!) One of the others left a patch of bright red fresh blood on the bedding this morning, about 2" across, but I can't see any obvious wound on any of them and their vents & fluffy pants are all clean. Only one is laying so far (last year all 6 produced eggs from day 1!) and they've been with me nearly a week now.

Can anyone throw any help/advice in this direction on any of the above? I'm hoping the blood isn't coccidiosis but as I haven't experienced it before I don't know what to look for.

Thanks - Anne   

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: more ex-bats & their problems!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 16:28 »
I have no idea about the blood, and I very very new at this. One of my new girls was also very loose, I was told to give them some live yoghurt to settle them in, after three days it sorted it. I do get a bit of odd bits in the cack every so often but an experienced chicken keeper had a look and said it was normal from time to time. So far I have had two soft eggs from mine and both in the nestbox.
Good luck
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 17:14 »
Cheers Aidy, I've used that in the past for my old girls but worried parent syndrome kicked in & I totally forgot that's what you give it for! I'll get some tomorrow & give it a go. I've also put some Herban in the water - the old girls don't like it but I'm hoping the newbies won't be quite so fussy. Anything to avoid the dreaded anti-b's...

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 18:50 »
One of my ex-batt girls poo's are llike tis, she is fit and well, the odd day looks a bit under the weather but thats it...so i popped her along to the vets.. 5 TIMES!!! cos everytime i get there she was bright and perky, but i know my birds and i knew she wasnt right. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we eventually sent a poop sample off and basically her kidneys are failing :(, a common problem with ex-batts. I could hav her PTS, or leave her, we chose to leave her for now as she is bright (most days) she is in to everything, and chatters away to you , so while she is still happy, we are happy :). as regards laying, well, they may not lay, but in my opinion thats a good thing as thier body has probably been through enough already. The shock of their new life could wll have brought on a moult, in which case they wont lay at the moment. If they are just on a break it will give them a well deserved rest to build their strength up before producing beautiful eggs again, dont worry ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 18:52 by dizzylizzie »

xx
ex bats

Started by kfoxey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 15:39
by cejx
xx
Day 1 for my Ex-Bats

Started by tezzer on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 19:04
by tezzer
xx
ex-bats

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:36
by nicchick
xx
Where to get ex-bats

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 09:57
by chasechicken

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 29 queries.