comfrey fertilizer questions

• 14 Replies

Under The Hill

comfrey fertilizer questions
« on: May 16, 2014, 22:49 »
I was in a rush today and had 5 minutes left at the allotment to make some comfrey tea.  So I cut down the plant and shoved the whole stalks, with leaves and flowers into my large water bottle - is that ok?  I thought you were supposed to just use leaves but I just did not have the time to strip them and my thinking is that it can't do any harm - what do you guys think?  2nd - the comfrey has rust.  Will it be a problem, will I spread the rust if I use the comfrey tea I make from it onto any plants I use it on?  :unsure:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: comfrey fertilizer questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 23:18 »
Rust is often host-specific, I think.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stalks as well as the leaves.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

andy dewar

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 00:45 »
Youll be fine i do the same with nettle tea just put it in tub cover with water put lid on and leave for about a month in the sun then drain through seive and use 1 part to 10 of water  :D

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 07:33 »
Youll be fine i do the same with nettle tea just put it in tub cover with water put lid on and leave for about a month in the sun then drain through seive and use 1 part to 10 of water  :D

Sorry to butt in but can I ask what is the advantage of nettle tea. I know about the comfrey tea but not quite sure what to use the nettle tea for.

Spr0ut

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:47 »
Nettle tea is a high Nitrogen feeder - so it is good for leaf growth.

allotment-shed

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 09:23 »
Try filling a nylon sack with Comfrey Leaves, the kind that onions are in from your local greengrocer and the bigger the better. Then either cut or twist the whole leaves into the sack, place a stone or half brick in first to weigh everything down and tie-off the sack with length of nylon rope.

If possible use a water butt to soak the leaves in, I use a 110L size and this makes a very useable mix. With the rope hanging out the top this can be pulled up and then let the sack fall to stir-up the mix.

The mix may be a bit strong at first so can be diluted as it is drawn off, but as the butt is refilled it is already diluted for you. Keep the lid on though as it does smell!

The leaves will last a few weeks before disintegrating, then start the process again.
Good Luck!

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:12 »
We always use the whole plant, flowers and all, but them in a bin, cover with a brick and top up with rainwater, then strain off the tea, and chuck what's left on the beds as a bit of extra goodness!

It all gets used with nettle tea at the same time, and is great for leeks etc!

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 19:39 »
Comfrey tea is wonderful for feeding crops on an allotment, and its free. Just one word of warning though, BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!! it smells to high heaven, and if you splash the resulting liquid on yourself the smell will penetrate your skin and clothes leaving you less than fragrant. I had an accident with my watering can which I knocked against the side of the water butt which contained the comfrey liquid, resulting in my taking a bath in the stuff - my husband drove home with all the car windows wide open, and even after having showered I could still smell it on my skin. I smelled marginally better the day I slipped and fell into my - very fresh - pile of cow manure.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 19:53 »

Sorry to butt in but can I ask what is the advantage of nettle tea. I know about the comfrey tea but not quite sure what to use the nettle tea for.

As someone stated it's high in nitrogen but also contains a fair amount of potassium, phosphorus and trace elements. I use it for leafy greens, brassicas and sweetcorn.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 10:38 »
Ive got a 45 gallon drum with a hose fitted to the bottom,i bang comfrey,nettles,docks into it then just dilute about 1-10 and feed with it,it really gives stuff a boost after a dose of it,put it on allsorts of stuff.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 10:52 »
Mine has rust and I also use stems, flowers etc. never noticed a problem infact I think we should use it far more than we do. It does make you physically gag if you sniff at the same time as removing the lid. Hehe

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 11:02 »
I cut mine a few times a year and also scrounge what I can from the neighbours... I have a 200 litre water butt and just keep topping it up with comfrey and water.. haven't a clue how strong it gets!! I then water my toms etc. with it neat and then give the plants a good watering afterwards to dilute it.. it works for me..

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

snow white

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 13:14 »
Comfrey tea is wonderful for feeding crops on an allotment, and its free. Just one word of warning though, BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!! it smells to high heaven, and if you splash the resulting liquid on yourself the smell will penetrate your skin and clothes leaving you less than fragrant. I had an accident with my watering can which I knocked against the side of the water butt which contained the comfrey liquid, resulting in my taking a bath in the stuff - my husband drove home with all the car windows wide open, and even after having showered I could still smell it on my skin. I smelled marginally better the day I slipped and fell into my - very fresh - pile of cow manure.
:D :nowink: ::)  Did that as well, (not the falling in manure bit though :tongue2:).  I even wear rubber gloves using it very, very carefully.  but boy do you see the effects on the plants - amazing stuff.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 16:55 »
i bang comfrey,nettles,docks into it then just dilute

I was wondering about dock leaves for tea... I've got a nettle brew and have just got my first comfrey plants from roots taken last autumn so will setting up a comfrey brew too.
I was wondering about the dock leaves that grow on the boundary of our plot - haven't seen the mentioned before as a tea. I'm guessing that they'll have nutritional value - just not as much as nettle/comfrey. Is that right?

Cheers,
Balders

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 23:14 »
If you don't like the smell of the comfrey in the water butt try making the concentrated form.
Put a load of leaves in a container with holes at the bottom, place a brick or something similar on top to weigh it down, place the bucket into a larger container leaving a gap at the bottom where the liquid squeezed from the top can be collected. Pour the liquid into a bottle then add to water at a ratio of 1-10 there is no awful smell this way  :)

xx
Comfrey Fertilizer

Started by plot123 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 18:34
by Scribbler
xx
Home made Comfrey & Nettle fertilizer

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 20:27
by ranat22
xx
Questions re Tomato Fertilizer

Started by isis on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 22:27
by DavidT
xx
comfrey questions

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 21:33
by needssomehelp

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 34 queries.