Courgette with Mosaic Virus?

• 9 Replies

seb85

« on: June 23, 2008, 15:19 »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum- been browsing for quite a while theres so much good information here!

Unfortunately I have to ask a question about Mosaic Virus.

I have four courgette plants, all in fairly close proximity- 2 Parador F1 and 2 Zucchini F1.

I pulled up one of the Parador plants two weeks ago because it had yellow patches on the leaves, around which the leaves were puckering- think this was mosaic virus?.  The second parador plant was going well but now it too seems to have the same patches.

My question is, since I have two healthy (for now) plants should I pull up this second parador plant now or should I just leave it and get whatever crop i can from it?

One of the Zucchini is in a pot so i could move it a few meters away from the other two.  How contageous is the mosaic virus?  is it spread on the wind or does it need animals to spread it?

I've had really bad problems with all kinds of aphids this year- black, green and white.  Ive heard that mosaic virus is spread by aphids.  Ive been resisting the temptation to kill them with something so far- just hoping that the ladybirds will show up- but if it will save the rest of my courgettes i will use something :(

Thanks in advance

Seb

PS, is it too late to sow some more courgettes if i do have to pull another one up?  I live pretty near to central london so we don't get frost until novemeber usually.

subaru

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 15:34 »
Hi seb85.

Mosaic Virus can be spread by both aphids and contact from you if the plant sap is on your skin. I think you should get rid of the sick ones but be careful as it will survive in the dead plants.

I hope this is of help.

All the best.

Subaru.
Please leave things how you would like to find them.

seb85

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 19:00 »
Thanks for the reply.  So if I leave that one in it will probably infect the others?

Does the virus stay resident in the soil ie if i take the sick plant out can i plant more in their place?

edit: ive just noticed that there are two of my topic :oops:  could one of you mods delete the other one for me

Thx

Seb  8)

subaru

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 20:05 »
Hi seb85.

Mosaic Virus (CMV)

You should not replant in that bed with cucumber, marrow, pumpkins and courgettes etc give it a season from them, the virus needs a host to live on. You should check other plants from the same group for signs of the virus BUT DO NOT TOUCH them. It would be a good idea to wash your hands and tools of after you have disposed of infected plants (Not on compost bin). You will be ok to plant there but not plants of the same group.

All the best.

Subaru.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 21:40 »
Clearing throat, hm, we don't actually know, what you have got - a photo is good - I'd personally air it if in any doubt, more eyes see more. :wink:

CMV is increasingly common though, easily spread, even just by clothing touching infected plants and unfortunately one of the universal sort of viruses, ie attacks and affects a blooming multitude of plants, sweet columbine, lettuce, primula, celery, tulip, lily, delphinium, dahlia, just a few of them. :shock:

I'd be tempted to lose all these plants, still can get away with sowing and you really got to lose the aphids, they spread a multitude of diseases.

Rub and squash them early on, when few and soap spray, won't harm anybody if you do it in the day.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

subaru

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 22:10 »
CMV

Host Plants: Tomato, pepper, cucumber, melons, squash, spinach, celery, beets, and petunia.

Description: The cucumber mosaic virus has one of the broadest host ranges of any of the tomato viruses. The disease affects a number of important vegetables and ornamentals including tomato, pepper, cucumber, melons, squash, spinach, celery, beets, and petunia. Tomatoes infected with the cucumber mosaic virus develop a slight yellowing and mottling of the older leaves. Expanding leaves typically become twisted, curl downward, and develop a "shoestring" appearance as a result of a restriction of the leaf surface to a narrow band around the midrib of the leaf. Diseased plants are stunted and produce small quantities of fruit.

The leaf distortion associated with some of these viral diseases often is confused with injury resulting from phenoxy herbicide exposure. Generally a phenoxy herbicide (2,4-D) will uniformly affect all tomato plants in a garden or greenhouse. The herbicide also will cause leaf distortions on a number of other broadleaf plants in the area. Plants exposed to low levels of the herbicide may recover. In contrast, virus diseases normally will not affect all plants at the same time or cause injury to other types of plants in the area. Once the plant is infected it will not recover.

The cucumber mosaic virus overwinters in perennial weeds and may be transmitted to healthy plants by aphid vectors (although tomatoes are not the preferred host of aphids) or by mechanical means. The cucumber mosaic virus cannot withstand drying or persist in the soil.

Recommendations: Virus diseases cannot be controlled once the plant is infected. Therefore, every effort should be made to prevent introduction of virus diseases into the garden. Sanitation is the primary means of controlling virus diseases. Infected plants should be removed immediately to prevent spread of the pathogens. Perennial weeds, which may serve as alternate hosts, should be controlled in and adjacent to the garden. Avoid planting tomatoes next to cucurbits, spinach, or other vegetables and flowers susceptible to these diseases. Control of aphids will help reduce the likelihood of cucumber mosaic. You need to find out what it is so you can do some thing about it. Send in some pics or a drawing will do.

All the best.

Subaru.

gobs

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 22:17 »
Subaru, you might want to put a link in, as a courtesy at least quote sites or something like that. :D

subaru

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 22:30 »
Hi gobs

Not the best on the computer still learning, I am just trying to help.

Subaru.

seb85

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:20 »
THanks for the replies.  I'll try to get a picture up this afternoon just to be on the safe side!

It seems very easily spread :shock:  I don't know how the first plant got it but i probably spread it to the second- i trimmed off any leaves touching the soil when we had that wet spell with my secateurs and didn't wash them between plants :(

I think the reason i've got so many aphids is that ive got a lot of ants... apparently they farm them?  Anyway if i get some ant killer down hopefully that will take out the source...

Seb

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 15:58 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Subaru, you might want to put a link in, as a courtesy at least quote sites or something like that. :D

Thanks for giving that advice gobs  :!: We don't want to get John into copyright trouble  :shock:

xx

Started by seb85 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 15:19
by seb85
xx
Mosaic Virus?

Started by John Wilkinson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 20:36
by gobs
clip
Have I got mosaic virus?

Started by Carolinela on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2017, 08:58
by Carolinela
xx
What to plant after mosaic virus?

Started by mrjones on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 19:15
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 28 queries.