Pea trouble

• 4 Replies

Jake

• Rockers
Pea trouble
« on: April 13, 2007, 11:22 »
One of my previously healthy pea plants has been nibbled or attacked by something at the base making it all floppy although still very green and alive.

Help! please, I must protect my peas.

I'm looking in The Vegetable and Herb Expert but nothing in there like this. I even went out after dark last night and didn't see anything on them. (I was atually looking for brown beetles.

Any ideas would be most welcome. :?
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
Pea trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 11:24 »
Slugs?
Always put pellets with young seedlings
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Jake

• Rockers
Pea trouble
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:51 »
Oh, I thought I would have seen the slugs at dusk or dawn. I have some pellets and will probably use them. :(

Smudge

blooming peas
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 12:03 »
I'm just about to put my seeding peas in today, i have little plastic cups to protect them until they are a bit bigger. Then if all good may upgrade to milk cartons (4 pinter) with a wooden steak inside. I also use this stuff called slug stoppa  (natural )which is basically tough grit, which is absorbent, to suck the little * dry. When the plants are bigger i surround them in a circle of  slug stoppa, then put a beer trap in the middle to catch the slugs hatched from the eggs in the circle.
Good luck, fresh peas are the very best thing in the whole world. it is well worth the effort!
Keep your mind sharp, but your hoe sharper.

Jake

• Rockers
Re: blooming peas
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 16:04 »
Quote from: "Smudge"
I'm just about to put my seeding peas in today, i have little plastic cups to protect them until they are a bit bigger. Then if all good may upgrade to milk cartons (4 pinter) with a wooden steak inside. I also use this stuff called slug stoppa  (natural )which is basically tough grit, which is absorbent, to suck the little * dry. When the plants are bigger i surround them in a circle of  slug stoppa, then put a beer trap in the middle to catch the slugs hatched from the eggs in the circle.
Good luck, fresh peas are the very best thing in the whole world. it is well worth the effort!

I'll try all that.

xx
Beetroot trouble

Started by andrewandkaren on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 10:40
by diggerjoe
xx
Any trouble on your site

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 07:08
by Rangerkris
xx
trouble with courgettes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2024, 16:55
by Hampshire Hog
xx
More broccoli trouble...

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 19:20
by realfood

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 35 queries.