my girls may not of been ill

• 16 Replies

karlooben

« on: December 26, 2008, 16:45 »
hiya everyone , firstly i hope u all had a good Christmas day { and ate loads  :lol: }.

today i gave my farmer friend the cockerals and boy am i going to miss them but i can visit them when ever i want , and they will be used for breeding neat year which me an my friend are going to do between us .
but most importantly i took over which i assume were my very sick girls and he really reckons they are not ill well not with mycoplasma . the one with the swollen face has what he says looks like an abcess { due to white skin around the eye or something but he knows what he talkin about i dont  :lol: } and the other one may just be getting over a slight cold, so good news i could be having them back shortly although the one with the abcess seems to of got weaker .

he also spoke to someone an said i may have to many girls to close together which is why the colds could be spreading quicker  :?:  :?: .

andddddd  i could of had a silkie bantam , he found it on the common land holy god knows where it came from but it was injured possibly by flying into we think the pilons { cant spell that }  but if it had of survived then he was going to let me have it and then we would of used it to brood eggs next spring  but oh well never mind .

my next task persaude the council if i can build a second run on my other plot an get some ducks . :D  :D  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 16:50 »
Yipee!!!

DUCKS :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 17:05 »
keep ya fingers crossed kate . but its going to be a few weeks yet before its even worth me phoning the council .

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 17:08 »
What ducks are you thinking of getting?

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 17:34 »
Sounds positive Karly.  :D

I hope your friend is right. It's possible that the abscess could lead to blood poisoning. Kate could tell you better.

Rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 17:44 »
Abscesses can cause problems like any infection and the usual treatment in humans is to incise the abscess to drain the pus. There is usually a lot of relief with just this. Antibiotics do not work well (or at all) in established abscesses as they are carried in the blood stream and do not reach the middle of the cavity of pus.

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 17:54 »
my friend will be giving her the full check over in the morning and no doubt be popping the abcess , although when i left she really wasnt looking at all bright so i would be surprised if she makes it though the nite .

as for what ducks i mite get ,i dont know as i know not one thing about ducks but if i get permission { and thats a big IF } i know who i will  be asking for advice on breeds etc etc  :D  :D  ummmm  think her name is kate  :lol:  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 17:57 »
Sure all of us on here will put you straight!

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 18:17 »
I sure hope that there was nothing seriously wrong with the birds.

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 18:21 »
so do i NN , will keep u all posted as i find out anything .
for me its so so helpfull having a farmer so close who i can run to if need  be and even just speaking to him again taught me a few more new things .

p.s nn thanks for the links the other day .

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 19:42 »
saxony ducks look nice...big tho'!

Jellyhead

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 19:58 »
I looked after my friends chooks for a while last year and one of the hens had a swollen face :( we thought it was a cold but after a few days I took her to the vet. It turned out to be a tumour so she was put to sleep.
Good news an bad news for you Looby, but hope all goes well from now on :wink:  :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

woodburner

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 21:52 »
Sorry but I have to laugh at the thought of silkies flying into pylons.  :lol:  Mine can't even fly down from a 3ft fence, much less get off the ground.  :lol:  
Poor thing though, I would guess it's injuries were caused by whatever took it to the common, fox or dog probably.  :cry:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 03:35 »
hi woodburner . appartently there were no injuries on the bird to suggest it had been got at by a fox or dog ,i didnt think they could fly i'm just bewilded on how it got over there as i know no one around here keeps birds at all  :? . only reason why my freind suggested that is because it was all dazed and could barely walk and hold its self up as if it had flown into something .

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 16:52 »
Silkies are very poor [or non-] fliers as they don't have the right kind of feathers for flying.  Their feathers have no barbicels on them, which are the things which hook the feathers together.

xx
One of my girls has gone :(

Started by newchickenkeeper on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 15:07
by frenchliving
xx
Girls have given up

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 14:32
by grumpydad
xx
Got new girls :-)

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 21:01
by peggyprice
xx
Wet Girls!

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 11:04
by Sparr0wman

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 33 queries.