veggie guest ...help!

• 22 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
veggie guest ...help!
« on: December 13, 2009, 21:55 »
I have invited a few friends for lunch on the sunday after Christmas, to find that one of them is veggie.
Doing a ham, left over turkey flan, cheese, sausage rolls, salad and wedges help yourself type lunch.
So any suggestions for a few veggie selections to add to the table......pretty please :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: veggie guest ...help!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 22:07 »
Depends on whether you want a 'main course' type thingy or an 'accompaniment' thingy

Main course thingies to serve cold could include cheese & leek quiche, open tomato and goats' cheese slice, or individual tarts with roast veg, garlic & herbs.

Accompaniment thingies could be veggie samosas, sosmix sausage rolls or veggie soup 'shots' in little glasses

:) :) :) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 22:30 »
That's a thought........ I could do some veggie samosa and some of those onion bhajis from the competition thread.
I think I'd have to cook plenty though, as everyone likes those  :happy:...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 22:31 »
If you have someone to help, they can be cooked in a sort of relay: one cooking while the other fills samosas.

Makes it quite fun then  8) 8)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 23:19 »
If you want fingery type things.  when we had our Vegetarian catering trailer, the veggies used to love the falafels and salad in pitta breads I did with humous.

Mind you, the falafels were really good from a company I found working in Smithfileds in London, but the falafel mix from Tesco that Mrs Poultrygeist told me about is quite nice.  I did those when my cousin's daughter came to stay as she is a vegetarian.

We also used to get some lovely vegetarian chilli burgers from another company.  they were yummy.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:01 »
Hi, im veggie...i will be having salads, quiche, cous cous made with veggie stock, with peas sweetcorn, onions and mushrooms, served with pitta bread..(yum), cold pastas rice, everything grannie annie said sounds yummy...i dont like spicy stuff but lots of my friends do! Dips, (hunous yum) i do stuffed potato skins...jackets pots cut in half, scooped out, mashed with butter and cheese then add what you want...mushroom, cauli, brocoli florets, stuff back in, sprinkle with cheese (make sure its veggie) pop in oven till brown...pizza, garlic bread etc etc :lol:...oh and pringles....cant have a party without them ;)

noshed

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 11:42 »
Delia does a thing with chick peas and green beans in a mayonnaise with anchovy fillets and black olives. Drool...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:30 »
I thonk you would need to enquire if she was lacto-ovo or not first.  If she is not, then any cheesey things would be out :)

plum crumble

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 12:35 »
you can do stuffed pancakes. The pancakes can be made a couple of days in advance to give you more time - just store separated by clingfilm, or greaseproof paper, in the fridge. Stuff with a mushroom and stilton filling, or leek and potato with nutmeg in a creamy sauce, or veggie curry topped with a yogurt sauce. Endless choice! with stuffed pancakes, it is so easy to make the fillings and pancakes in advance, and then just assemble on the day and warm up!

yumm!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 12:44 »
In Delia's Christmas book there are some suggestions for vegetarias, perhaps there are some on her website?  I can have a look in it when I get home for you and let you know.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 14:52 »
I like doing pitta pockets for that kind of thing:

Random bowls of peppers, cheese, pepperoni, onion, mushrooms etc

Lots of pitas, just fill up your own pitta, pop it in the micro wave for 30secs and it all melts into a lovely mess.

Vegi - bit of sweet pepper, cheese and sweet corn is very good! - if you spread the inside with a little tomato puree its almost pizza!

Bit of chilli or salsa, green salad, humus with red pepper and chilli is excellent!

Good time for onion bhajis also! mmmmm
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 14:55 by Lewjam »
I hate signatures but love irony

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 16:44 »
I had loads of veggies - 7 on Christmas day last year! I did loads of filo parcels and froze them to reheat on the day - 1) Cranberry sauce & brie; 2) Garlic mushrooms in sour cream; 3) feta cheese, caramelised onions & red peppers - looked really pretty, bit fiddly but all disappeared - depends how much time you want to spend? Veggie lasagne if it's cold can be made the day before or frozen now & defrosted; Puff pastry parcels; crudites & dips, stuffed peppers/garlic mushrooms/tomatoes with rice or breadcrumbs or couscous - HTH
JMW

zazen999

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 16:55 »
Delia does a thing with chick peas and green beans in a mayonnaise with anchovy fillets and black olives. Drool...

This isn't veggie!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 16:58 »
were ok (I think!) she eats fish very occasionally but prefers to eat veggie cheese when she can. Is it easy to find?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 17:03 »
Veggie cheese is dead easy to find. Well know supermarkets stock it, just look down the normal cheese isles , and look for the green V on the front :D

xx
More veggie help please

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 22:39
by noshed
xx
Veggie Help Please!

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 14:56
by Ice
xx
Thinking of trying to go veggie

Started by Ruth Cross on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

44 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 22:44
by compostqueen
xx
lazy cow veggie pie

Started by Babycat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

32 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 05:50
by mushroom

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 29 queries.