What to grow?

• 8 Replies

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
What to grow?
« on: October 29, 2007, 16:16 »
Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can grow in the shade of an enormous apple tree?  It is part of a hedgerow, and shading a large part of one plot.  We are planning on having it pruned, but it will still have a lot of overhang.  All that is growing at the moment is bramble and nettle!
On the very steep learning curve of organic veg growing!!!!

WG.

What to grow?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 16:22 »
Nettles are actually a pretty useful crop.  Add to compost heap or make nettle tea.

To answer your question, hamburg parsley is pretty tolerant of shade.  Other veg might be beetroot or spinach.  Not a bad place to put a coldframe for raising seedlings before leaf cover appears, or striking cuttings.

noshed

What to grow?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 22:52 »
In the summer it will be a good place for lettuce - they won't bolt as quickly. I have a shady bed and salad leaf things seem to do well and broad beans.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

muntjac

What to grow?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 00:10 »
Quote from: "WG."
Nettles are actually a pretty useful crop.  Add to compost heap or make nettle tea.

To answer your question, hamburg parsley is pretty tolerant of shade.  Other veg might be beetroot or spinach.  Not a bad place to put a coldframe for raising seedlings before leaf cover appears, or striking cuttings.

to make any use of nettles you need to reduce the stings .do this by holding it over an electric ring or gas until they wilt .then use them in soups stews  tea .also you can learn to twist the tall ones into string for a very green use of the plant :wink: ,, nettle tea is take a plastic bag of wilted dry leaves hang them in the airing cupboard or in full sun, pick only the younger ones for any uses  and then  whiz them through a pulse  blender .look for small particles , then plastic bag sipppy them . use like normal tea ,no milk or sugar but a drop of lemon is nice . to much can make ya run :wink:
still alive /............

gobs

What to grow?
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 10:38 »
Alternatively, you handle them in gloves as once cooked a bit they do not sting any more.

Even if you do not want to eat them, which you should try, a very good pick me up in early spring, still your garden would benefit from a little nettle patch. :)

Also sorrel would cope well there.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muntjac

What to grow?
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 10:56 »
but if your out in the woods and u dont have gloves ur stuck ..... unless like me you make a grass sandwich to hold them with  :)

mushroom

What to grow?
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 16:00 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
Quote from: "WG."

to make any use of nettles you need to reduce the stings .do this by holding it over an electric ring or gas until they wilt .then use them in soups stews  tea .also you can learn to twist the tall ones into string for a very green use of the plant :wink: ,, nettle tea is take a plastic bag of wilted dry leaves hang them in the airing cupboard or in full sun, pick only the younger ones for any uses  and then  whiz them through a pulse  blender .look for small particles , then plastic bag sipppy them . use like normal tea ,no milk or sugar but a drop of lemon is nice . to much can make ya run :wink:

I thought WG. meant 'tea' as in compost tea, as in the fertilizer, rather than TEA tea, like what you drink  :shock:  :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
What to grow?
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 16:11 »
I thought that too!!!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

WG.

What to grow?
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 16:22 »
Me too !!

clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
I want to grow........

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 20:23
by fatbelly

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 29 queries.