Ryobi RYBRPT400 Long reach trimmers

• 0 Replies

Lardman

Ryobi RYBRPT400 Long reach trimmers
« on: March 21, 2012, 18:16 »
Just a quick update having used the trimmers in anger today. I was taking 3-4 feet off 2 conifers (not leylandii), no branches larger than my thumb, but pretty dense. I have good access to these and the surrounding ground is firm and level so they make for a good test bed.

My intention was to set the cutter at 90 degrees hold the body of the machine at chest height, walk around the trees and top them off at around 10ft. This worked for around 4 inches before hitting the larger stems it couldn't cut.

Out with the ladders and the loppers.

Next problem I found was it's almost impossible to use the trimmer close to you, the trigger is around 4ft from the cutting head, trying to clear the fluffy bits in my face while up the ladder was impossible and I resorted to a small 15" b&d hedge trimmer.

Once Id cleaned enough tree away to be at waist level with the tops, I managed to use the trimmers effectively, clearing the smaller growth easily resting the tool on the tree top, they also gave me a good 6-7ft reach, again still requiring the loppers for the larger branches.

The claims of 17mm cutting capacity are very unrealistic and anything over 10mm was a struggle, more importantly dense material even of a smaller diameter seemed to just deflect the cutting head. I didn't have time to shave the sides, but I don't really expect any problems with the very thin growth there and the extra reach should allow me to do that from ground level, rather than needing a step ladder.

Overall I wasn't impressed with their lack of conifer cutting ability.  The extra reach is little more than can be gained with a 5 tread step ladder. If you have to get ladders out then there are much better tools to cut at close range.

They may fair better against the leylandii, which is what they were bought for, its less dense and annual growth my only problem with those is access - I shall need all the 7ft reach.

Its a good job they were only £60 at best Id give them 4/10.

xx
Long reach 4 in 1 hedgecutters from eBay?

Started by Salmo on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 00:13
by johnfh
xx
EGO grass trimmers

Started by clarets7 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2020, 17:14
by clarets7
xx
Hedge trimmers and strimmers

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 10:39
by Lardman
xx
Cordless hedge trimmers

Started by Celtic Eagle on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 18:27
by JayG

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 28 queries.