Hedge trimmers and strimmers

• 9 Replies

Lardman

Hedge trimmers and strimmers
« on: March 03, 2012, 20:51 »
I need to replace my ryobi expandit kit, not sure which way to go - either another  multifunction device or separates.

I was very disappointed with the ryobi kit - difficult to start, heavy and unbalanced and very difficult to use while 16ft up a ladder.  Although it was nice to be able to cut most of the  vertical hedge from ground level.  Strimmer wise - once it was started it was fine, it just took ages to get started and wouldn't restart when warm.

Should I even be looking at petrol? I can get power to where the hedge trimmers are needed easily, and its only leylandii so nothing too thick.

I don't have unlimited funds (much as Id like Stihl kit), hedge trimmer will be used twice a year and strimmer used 5-6 times a year.

Thoughts or recommendations ?

Gwiz

Re: Hedge trimmers and strimmers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:54 »
Mitox do a couple of multi tool kits in petrol. The 271 and the 281.
Out of the two, the 281 is the better buy having an extension kit included. The hedge cutter blades are stronger too. The whole lot together shouldn't cost you more than around £250.
This isn't Stihl. It's fiddlier to put the tools onto the engine unit than Stihl, and the build quality isn't the same, but we have sold loads of these and only had, so far, one come back under warranty (dodgy Chinese spark-plug). As a home-owner cheap bit of kit I reckon it's about the best out there, better than the Ryobi. Phone up the company and get them to send you a brochure.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:51 »
We're looking at cordless strimmers Lardman.

'Growsterbay' seems to have the best deals at the moment, with Amazon close behind.

I know they're not as powerful as petrol ones, but those are a little out of our league at the moment.

Seems like I can get a Bosch Li Ion (thanks for the tip Gwiz, very grateful for your spanner knowledge!) for around £60.00, which seems the right sort of kit for paths and edges.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:58 »
Mitox do a couple of multi tool kits in petrol. The 271 and the 281.

I was looking at those last night, but the weight was a concern, 7.2Kgs with the trimmer attachment is at the top end about the same as the ryobi stuff.  Have you handled the units ? What's the balance like, the 3Kg trimmer head wobbling about on the end of an extension pole with the ryobi stuff wasn't good at all.

I guess Im looking for something as light as my B&D 500w electric ones, with the reach of the extended ryobi and the cutting capacity of a stand petrol tool...  :D how hard can it be.  :nowink:

We're looking at cordless strimmers Lardman.

The area I need to strim is relatively large and its not just grass - it just laughed at the electric grass strimmer I have - Im guessing it would find a cordless one even more funny. The strimmer / brush cutter would need to be petrol.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:55 »
In that case Lardman, I'm sure you'll need something much more powerful of course!

Best of luck anyway, there are so many to choose from...;0)

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 18:59 »
I was almost fully committed to the mitox kit (the 268LRH) but reading the manual they have online the max cut thickness is 10mm ! That's fine for the fluffy stuff on the sides but the annual growth can be thicker than that on top.  :(

Gwiz

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:32 »
Most of the trouble with any of the pole cutters is that a lot of people use then as a saw on a stick!
As a repairer, let me advise you that it really doesn't do the gearbox any good at all ::)
As a seller let me advise that they are all only meant to cut thin annual growth and not the "wood within" A pair of loppers or a saw is much better suited to that........ ;) :)

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 18:02 »
Most of the trouble with any of the pole cutters is that a lot of people use then as a saw on a stick!

Who, Me ? No - never  ::) Honest  :D (I've got a saw on a stick for that)

I need the pole length for the depth of the hedge not the height, I can't access it from the other side.   I was hoping to get everything done with one tool but I think its just not doable.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 10:14 »
The strimmer / brush cutter would need to be petrol.
Short and simple :D

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 10:39 »
Despite my best research I couldn't find anything I thought was good enough to do everything.  :(

I've settled for long reach electric hedge trimmers http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001SN8OCY  at 40% off  ( just £60)  I thought it was worth a gamble. With a bit of luck they will be good enough and I can spend a little extra on a better quality strimmer / brush cutter.

xx
Cordless hedge trimmers

Started by Celtic Eagle on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 18:27
by JayG
xx
Petrol-engined hedge trimmers

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2016, 20:27
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
EGO grass trimmers

Started by clarets7 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2020, 17:14
by clarets7
xx
Ryobi RYBRPT400 Long reach trimmers

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 18:16
by Lardman

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 36 queries.