Red Mite :(

• 14 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Red Mite :(
« on: October 01, 2009, 08:07 »
My girls have red mite :ohmy: what do I need to buy I know poultry shield, anything else? What should I do with the coop/run? I have wood chippings in the run should I remove them all? Also does anyone know of anywhere in the essex or suffolk area that sells poultry shield etc? Or anywhere online that does next day delivery?

Also should I give each of the girls a bath?

I'm so cross with myself, I've been using red mite powder in the coop and on the girls once a week but should have bought some poultry shield sooner  >:(

Any advice appreciated, thanks guys

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Red Mite :(
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:11 »
Swap from red mite powder to diatom in the future.  It's much more effective at killing and preventing the little horrors.

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:27 »
Thanks will do, so what do I need to do/get to kill them off now?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:32 »
I'm no expert on red mite having never experienced them but many other members will be around later to give you advice :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:15 »
I would wash out the coop with poultry shield or

what ever you can get your hands on quicker (prob the Jeyes Fluid)
The red mite will be living in the cracks between the wood and under the perches.  It will take time to get rid of them as well.  I would suggest that if your perches are not removable then you should make them so, also fill in all the cracks with painters chalk (this drys solid) and fills anywhere for the mite to live.  I would also suggest if it is a wood coop you get some Milbenex from http://www.bowdenandknights.com
Be aware it is strong stuff and needs to be applied with care but it will stop them coming back as it has a residual effect with the wood.
You will have to ring for it not webshop.

Finally are you sure it is red mite?

Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 11:36 »
Hi Stuart

Thanks so much for your response, I have some Jeyes so will use that for now, hubby is going to get some poultry shield and diatom after work. Yes defo red mite, looks exactly like in your photo  :( I found it on the ends of the perches, yes luckily they are removable. I think they must be new as I thoroughly cleaned the coop on Saturday and didn't see any then and the girls seem fine at the moment no blood anywhere, laying ok and they've been going to bed as usual.

Our coop is pretty dodo (we bought it before we had any chicken experience) and has loads of grooves throughout (grooves are quite large but still a pain to clean), also has an ashphelt roof so I'm thinking we may have to remove the roof and completely replace it as someone on here was saying they hide under the felt  ???  If we do that what would be the best thing to use on the roof instead of felt?

Also read someone saying about using Frontline spray on the chickens to kill the red mite, is this ok for chickens and if so can we still eat the eggs? Should I wash the girls as well to try and get rid of any mites on them?

Thanks
Liz

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 11:59 »
If you have jeyes I would not bother with poultry shield. 

If there is not evidence of redmite under the felt I would not bother removing it.

Front line I personally would not use it as it is not licensed for chickens. 

Washing will prob stress them. I would dust them with Diatom.

nzdunn

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 12:45 »
i read somewhere on here that you can add water to the diatom if you want to and paint it on and into all the gaps, is that right.  nickyx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 13:08 »
Yes, that's right :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 13:11 »
Yes Nicky, someone did mention that on here the other night, and I also read an article online last night where a farmer said he does the same sort of thing.  he makes a slurry of diatom stuff and water and spray paints it all over the inside of his sheds.

He said the diatom stuff is static and clings to the wooden surfaces, but only up to 3-4 months when it loses its staticity and falls off, but when he made the slurry and spray painted it all over, it is still there 9 months later.

I actually use Jeyes fluid first to clean and disinfect, then poultry shield to help kill the mites.  But as soon as I can afford it, I'm going to buy some Milbenex from Bowden and Knights, boy is it expensive, but if it does have a residual effect, it will be worth the money.

B&K's don't sell Diatom as such, but they do sell hemexsan, which is also Diatomaceous earth product, but is cheaper than diatom.  £24.50 for 25kgs bag +P&P!  so I've ordered some of that.  Diatom is a bit expensive when you have as much housing as we have to cover!

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 14:08 »
Excellent advice guys, thanks so much  ::) I'll get hubby to get the diatom then and I'll forget the Frontline.

Hopefully we can get this sorted out quickly or hubby will have to build another coop  :ohmy:

These certainly are expensive eggs!  :tongue2:

janet12000

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 15:47 »
 I read on here a while back about painting the inside of the coop with liquid paraffin.
I scrubbed the coop with jeyes, then used the paraffin and this did the trick for me .
You have to do it first thing though to give it time to dry and for the smell to go before the chickens go to bed.
Good luck......they are horrible things.  >:( x

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 15:50 »
I read on here a while back about painting the inside of the coop with liquid paraffin.
I scrubbed the coop with jeyes, then used the paraffin and this did the trick for me .
You have to do it first thing though to give it time to dry and for the smell to go before the chickens go to bed.
Good luck......they are horrible things.  >:( x

On a serious note you will have to remove all fags and lighters from the chickens or your coop will be toast. :ohmy:

janet12000

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 16:14 »
Yeah, I confiscated their Marlboro first, stuck a nicotine patch on their crops. They needed to give up anyway.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 16:15 »
I just let mine go cold turkey.

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Mite??

Started by Jonathan C on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 14:02
by urban-chickens

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 29 queries.