Which onion??

• 3 Replies

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
Which onion??
« on: March 07, 2007, 22:26 »
Am I too late to put a few onions (in sets) in the plot???
I intend mixing some carrots and marigolds in the same bed...(Anti root fly tactic)

Silly question but I suppose I get one onion per plant???

If so which one??
I want salad/ sandwich onions ...not necessarily cooking onions
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
onion sets
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 22:42 »
Definetly not to late.    Any time over the next 4 weeks or so for onion sets. But Ive not found any that make good salad onions.
 Possibly the red onions but even those tend to be too strong when grown from sets.
Your better of sowing salad or spring onions straight into the ground and using them as you want them.  You might get away with an early sowing now if you can find a bit of sheltered ground.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Which onion??
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 23:21 »
Well, for salads, my white lisbon did well last year, and also this year I am trying Paris silerskin onions, as I used to love them pickled when I was a child.  But them I grow from seed.  I grow my normal onions and shallots from sets, but not sure what sort they are, as they are from Wilko's and I don't think they have names on them.  But the year before last, the yield was pretty good, but not so good last year, so hoping for better this year.

muntjac

Which onion??
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 23:46 »
dont miss out on red onions for pickling folks they are real snappy , i chop em in slices n put them in ice cold water with a good tablesppon of salt mix a good 2 teaspoons of pickling spice  into a pint or so of hot  white vinegar take it off the heat  let it steep a while till its gone cold . now slice a chilli pepper ( heat according to ya own taste i like bolivion rainbow ) and drop that in the jar along with the onion rings pour the vineagr mix  into the jar put the cap on tight . put the jar ina panof hot water and boil it qwik till the fluid inside warms up to pop the vacuum  n then the seal will set  .. store in a cool place .i keep all my pickles in the outside brick shed . lovly with a ploughmans on a summer day . i also do cucumbers ( in a sweet vinegar mix)  beetroot  the same
still alive /............

xx
Pickling Onion recommendation / straggly onion & leeks

Started by kentishlad on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 09:45
by Annie
xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie
xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
onion

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 21, 2016, 09:35
by New shoot

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 28 queries.