Aggressive hen

• 10 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
Aggressive hen
« on: December 09, 2015, 13:55 »
Please can anyone help. I've sent a message recently regarding my silkie feather pecking. I have tried all sorts of things including sprays and looking into diet problems without success. Was wondering if anyone can help me with a temporary separation time. How long and do they need to be put somewhere out of sight or insight of the others. Problem is she is really aggressive and nasty jumping on their backs and pulling feathers out of there top knots as they are all silkies. On my last post it was just one hen but now she's started on all of them. One just lays there and won't move she puts up with it. I think I need urgent advise now it's out of hand thanks

pekinpete

Re: Aggressive hen
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 15:12 »
Frizzle 1 have you got a friend who has larger hens that would take her if she has to share pen with bigger birds she might be less inclined to do it, one thing you could try is hen specs you can get them off e-bay they might help.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 15:24 »
Thank you pekinpete but this wouldn't be an option thank you for the offer though I will keep this in mind

grinling

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 19:30 »
I have had to remove one of mine even though she is the dominant hen, feather pulling and eating was a prob. I did use a hutch which I was able to put in the outer run when I had one. After 2 days she was let out and carried under my arm (I am the cockerel). She did pin my pekin down, so spent another 2 days in the cooler and was fine after that.

Most fine beak clips are good.
I use cheap dog food if feather eating and they are not laying.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 19:46 »
Tried her in a separate cage for a week in view so the others could see her when I put her back was ok for a day then she started again. Wondered if she would be better off left longer and out of sight. Looked in to pecking bits but her skin is growing right over her nostrils so don't think I will be able to use them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:33 »
Did you try the domination tactics Grinling describes Frizzle?   Carrying a hen under your arm or pinning it down is a way of getting the message across.

Try isolating her again, but out of sight of the others so she can't see what they are up to.  A series of short bursts of a couple of days would be better than one long spell.  Make sure you put your hand over her back and gently pin her down or carry her immobilised as often as you can.

Put her back in with the others after a couple of days and whip her out and back into clink if she starts again.  Hens are not that dim.  It will register with her that my bad behaviour equals being taken away and left on my own.

Good luck with it  :)

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 10:36 »
Thank you for your reply new shoot I've not tried this yet so I will certainly give it a try. As you know she has been in a separate cage though but I've not tried the pinning down option yet but that could be my next step. The only problem I will find with doing this is that she's not the easiest hen to catch it takes me at least ten mins to catch her and I fear that once she's caught she would have forgotten what she's done but the way it is at the moment any things worth a try other than rehoming her, but it's just getting worse day by day I'm really worried, may sound weird but never slept all night I was worrying about her but thank you for your reply I am really greatful and I will try that tactic. Anymore suggestions would be greatful thank you again

grinling

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:14 »
Mine are pretty wild so not easy to catch. Mine hate being held, but pecking order is one thing aggression another.
You could isolate her at night at carry around in the morning. Claws are sharp so garden gloves can be useful. Hold firmly with your arm, but support her belly and legs.  I walk around the garden telling her off...neighbours know I'm mad!! Re isolate her and repeat several times over the day and then reintroduce. You might need to repeat.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 20:44 »
Thank you grinling, I tried a couple of times today pinning her down and she started again the second she touched the grass so I put her back in the cage for a couple of hours then tried again and still the same, looks like it's something I'll have to do on a regular basis for sometime. She seems fine in the coop of a night no problem. Kept her out tonight though and will try again tomorrow. Will I have to carry her round for ten mins or so or once I've pinned and got her under my arm does she go in the cage right away? Really appreciate this advise

grinling

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 21:18 »
I have picked up Bluey my dominant hen,tucked her under my arm, so belly on my hand rather than my arm and walk around for quite some time. Repeated that several times as aggressive to a very submissive hen (she was flat on the ground). Also had time out for 2 days in the outer run. All mine free range in the garden.
She was allowed out, but after making a beeline for Roberta again she had another day of isolation.

You could also try holding her firmly, whilst giving the rest corn,as it is normal for the dominant one to have first dibs, staying with the hens but keep hold of her.
If still no joy by the end of next week a permanent separation within a run area would be better. If she goes to bigger hens then she could be picked on.
A rabbit hutch would work with a built on low run.

Beekissed

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 21:54 »
I rarely have aggressive hens but when I've had one in various flocks, the best solution was to kill her and eat her.  No need to make the rest of my chickens suffer because of one mean individual.  Birds that are stressed are more prone to illness, don't lay as well and lead a miserable life, so it's just not worth it to try and rehab a bad apple. 

I say, "Off with her head!"   ;)

xx
aggressive hen

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 14:00
by evie2
xx
very aggressive hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 20:16
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Moulting & aggressive?

Started by helens-hens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 16:12
by Sparkyrog
xx
Aggressive cockerel

Started by Rzlty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 14:24
by Vember

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 33 queries.