Seed planting

• 18 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Seed planting
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 08:41 »
same here :)
my OH is getting pretty p.o'ff with the window sills full of trays and loo rolls >:(

Mine's now a bit resigned to it. It helps if you plant things that they like. Also helps if they can't tell what things are, so you can keep the 'I'm growing xxx for you' line going a lot longer... :D

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 17:10 »
BabbAann is right Brassicas and lettuce seed are okay for planting now indoors as are onion seeds. I would not be in a hurry to plant beetroot seeds just yet, my experience with indoor planting is they get leggy and have to be consigned to the salad bowl. After all that work when I did get them out on to the plot most of them bolted and the ones I direct sowed in April came through just fine. Beetroot, carrots and parsnips get direct sown when the ground is warn enough, avoids all the 'Faff'. 
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

Christine

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 18:36 »
Back of my seed packet says to plant beetroot direct in April. Useful place for directions, back of the seed packet.  :lol:

viettaclark

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 23:40 »
I actually sowed leeks and brussels a week or two ago and they're in the zip-up thingy outside. The sprouts are up. Seed trays also for Primo cabbage, calabrese, various lettuces. I sowed beetroot, parsnips and radish to mark the rows in the raised beds and early carrots in fleece covered potato sacks as well as under a couple of cloches in the beds. Swiss chard, perpetual spinach and Delikett sugar snaps are also sown in beds now and mizuna, pak choi, mustards, rocket, corriander and more radish are in big tubs by the house.
I find the salad stuff prefers cool conditions and I usually get the best crop from these early sowings.
The overwintering chillies have survived on the window sill for the third year and nearly all the new chillis have germinated. I've just sown some seed from a chilli frozen from last year as an experiment. My son gave me 5 seeds for Mothers' Day 3 years ago and the plants didn't make it through their 3rd Winter so it would be great to keep it going!!!!! A long shot......
That's it for sowing for a bit, then it will be the tomatoes, psb and kale. Beans, courgettes etc are much later.

xx
Seed planting

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 23:31
by DD.
xx
What Veg seed could I be planting now

Started by blue on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 14, 2007, 23:39
by purplebat
xx
Seed planting indoors

Started by JUDGE DREDD on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 15, 2013, 09:31
by DD.
xx
Planting parsnip seed

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 07:40
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 28 queries.