advice needed

• 3 Replies

Jade

advice needed
« on: March 18, 2010, 23:18 »
Hi,
I'm new to keeping chickens. We had thought about it previously, but never got round to it.  But at the end of last year agreed to take on the results of hatching
a couple of friends eggs and have ended up with a cockerel, and hen, now 18 weeks.
they are lovely, very tame, and the kids adore them.
My question: seeing that we've only one that will lay for us, and that won't supply enough
eggs for a family of 6, what would be the best way to increase our stock? should we get
chicks that are sexed, or go for POL? we would only think of getting another 2 or possibly 3, and cant run the risk of any more males, (have been offered some more hatchlings from the same source, but don't feel we should have them as you can't sex them until they lay/crow) Also would like to avoid any problems introducing them, and would like them tame enough for the children to handle. Can you recommend any particular breeds

Advice welcomed

Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:49 »
I would get point of lay (this way you know they are females - although there is sometimes the odd mishap  ;) but make sure whoever you get them off will take them back if they turn out to be males). Keep them seperate for a couple of weeks but in full view of the others. Gradually move them closer during this time. When you do put them together then make sure that you have several feeders and drinkers available plus some hiding places and move them in together overnight. You will have squabbles when the pecking order gets re-established but hopefully the cockerel will sort them out but if not be handy with the purple spray and wound powder.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:05 »
I would definatly get point of lay. I have Cuckoo marans and they are lovely very frendly but you have to go slowly at first as they can be a bit nervous. They also so lay beautiful eggs every day.

Jade

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 19:32 »
Thankyou, i thought that would be the sensible answer, but we did so enjoy having the chicks. Do you think getting some more is better done now (while present chickens are younger) will they adapt easier than in a few month ?

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
Advice needed

Started by nickiit2003 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 15:56
by Shop Keep
xx
advice needed please

Started by clare30 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 17:25
by clare30
xx
Advice needed please...

Started by Pixieswift on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 13:41
by Pixieswift

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 36 queries.