Green Manures

• 3 Replies

NellyCB

Green Manures
« on: August 28, 2011, 23:33 »
I'm thinking of sowing some red clover as a green manure on the ground I'm not using for a while. 

I've nevert tried it before - is it a case of just digging it in later on (a while before reusing the ground)?

Also what is everyone else sowing manure-wise (if anything else)?

Ricey

Re: Green Manures
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 23:52 »
Im new to lotty's and I found this site informative. It explains the various green manures well.

http://www.sowseeds.co.uk/green-manure-seeds.html

With deep rooting green manure, you will need to dig it in very well, 3 to 4 weeks before you plan to plant your main crop. These plants send their roots very deep and will return unless dug in well.
I believe the best procedure is to first cut down the plants to ground level the dig over the area. Chop up the roots well and leave the clippings in the ground as organic matter.
(I dont think you should allow the plants to flower, although you'll need to check on that)

Green manure seems to be a fantastic idea, because weeds will be supressed and the plants will condition you soil as they grow as well as eventually acting as manure.

I used my own mix to cover 2/3rds of my newly aquired lotty, hoping to be ready for next spring. I used, Clover, Field Beans, Rye Grass ands Alfalfa. In the 4 weeks since sowing, the newly dug over area has a nice low covering of green manure
Some green manures compliment each other as they grow (Like companion planting), Just do a little research but dont take too long..... You'll need to get sowing pretty soon.

NellyCB

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 00:12 »
Thanks Ricey.
So I don't let the plants flower? OK.
I may try some of the others you have tried, especially Alfalfa.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 00:45 »
Rather than pure clover you should consider one of the standard Winter mixes with italian ryegrass.  One mix I used also included a little mustard which established very quickly and acted as a shelter crop. Once I could see that clover and ryegrass was established I cut off the mustard and composted it.

xx
Green Manures

Started by 18Forts1999 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2015, 11:04
by gremlin
xx
green manures

Started by sizer247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 20:18
by sizer247
smiley
GREEN MANURES

Started by lincolnlad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 21:46
by peapod
xx
green manures

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2023, 10:49
by coldandwindy

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 29 queries.