Poultry Tonics??

• 4 Replies

Goldfinger

Poultry Tonics??
« on: June 28, 2010, 16:37 »
Does anyone here use the 'poultry tonics' that you can get to keep them tip-top, or ar they not worth the extra expense??

Or would you's recommend a shop bought or a home-made cocktail?

GF

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Poultry Tonics??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 17:06 »
I use poultry spice, poultry drink, garlic, ACV, poultry vitamins, limestone flour, Cod liver Oil, Avipro, I think that's all  ::)

Not all at the same time and not continually, just when I judge they would benefit from it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 17:21 by Aunt Sally »

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:27 »
Everyone will have different ideas on this. Poultry pellets or mash are designed to be a complete food. The only time I give extra is just after I have wormed or when they are going through the moult. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pigeonpie

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 23:20 »
My girls refused to eat their food when I added some poultry spice to it but they love the water with the added poultry tonic.  I must say though that although I gave it to them for the first couple of months after I got them (they're ex batts and were in quite a bad way) I tend now to only use it when I think they could do with a boost, if one looks a bit run down, etc.
I think the most important thing is for them to have a healthy base diet, so good quality pellets, access to greens and my girls always have a bowl of wheat scattered around the garden every afternoon (it helps that hubbie works on an arable farmer so we have easy access to grains).  In the winter I also give them some sunflower seeds to make up for the reduced amount of fresh grass and other greens.  With my girls free ranging and also getting a lot of fruit and veg from the veg patch I'm pretty happy that they're getting most of the nutrients they need.  If they were in a pen then perhaps I would think differently and add more to their food and drink.   

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 01:45 »
I'd agree with Sassy and pigeonpie.  Keep nutrition basic and simple and don't give supplements as a routine.  No harm in trying things on an ocassional basis as Aunty says with a specific idea in mind such as after the moult.

The only ones I use are multivits after any illness, moult or if egg shell quality seems low.  There's a very economic pig and poultry one available from farm feed outlets which lasts a long time and is much cheaper than things like Lifeguard which is expensive.

ACV if I think that improving hydration is required ie in hot weather.

Oyster shell as well as insoluable grit I have available adlib permanently not in their food.  It's more important for older birds which tend to have more poor egg shell quality problems.
HF
MultiVit.jpg
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:47 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
tonics and pick-me-ups

Started by Truffle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 21:18
by jhub
xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
Poultry ark

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 20:04
by Andy J
xx
The joy of poultry

Started by kizza on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 19, 2006, 11:42
by Huswyf

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 29 queries.