how many seed to sow?

• 4 Replies

earthing83

• Experienced Member
how many seed to sow?
« on: April 06, 2009, 21:16 »
Hello everyone,
I have a fairly vague question but I hope some of you may be able to shed some light on it for me. I have got my first raised beds ready and warming under fleece and have just recived my seeds in the post. I have decided which will be sown indoors and which outdoors. However I'm unsure how many seeds to sow compared to how many  plants you are wanting to end up with. I know that it's best to sow more than needed so the best can be transplanted but does anyone have a general rule of say, sowing double? I am new to this so apologies for the basic question!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: how many seed to sow?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 21:31 »
I usually sow a quarter more than what i need when i'm sowing indoors.
Outside i'm not so efficient with the little seeds and end up doing a lot of thinning :(
Big seeds like courgette and pumpkin/squash i plant 2 in the pot/planting station and take out the weakest.
Hope this helps....wait and see what the others do :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 21:44 »
I usually sow a quarter more than what i need when i'm sowing indoors.
Outside i'm not so efficient with the little seeds and end up doing a lot of thinning :(
Big seeds like courgette and pumpkin/squash i plant 2 in the pot/planting station and take out the weakest.
Hope this helps....wait and see what the others do :D

seems about my technique too  :D
For example I sow 12 seeds if I want 7 or 8 toms
Peas I sow more of if direct sowing and less if potting up due to the mice taking them  :mad:

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 22:14 »
thankyou to both of you that sounds like a plan. It's funny when you first start (as I'm sure you will remember) I find myself thinking about every decision over and over again. I just want to give everything the best start. So excited to sow the seeds now! Thanks again.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 22:25 »
I normally get close to 100% germination unless there's a problem with the seed, but I don't want to bank on that, so I always sow between 20% and 50% more than I need (more redundancy with fewer plants).  I also, after I dropped all my melon plants last year, try to split each variety where that's possible, so that one accident will only wipe out half the stock.

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
From seed?

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 19:48
by JayG

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 37 queries.