Parsnip Seedlings

• 13 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Parsnip Seedlings
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:34 »
I have grown some Parsnip seedlings indoors, these have now germinated to the nursery leaf stage.  What should I do next? - move to the cold frame to grow on (seedlings are in root trainer modules) or plant out into the allotment bed?  Reason for this action is the very poor germination rate when seeds are sown directly into the allotment bed.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Parsnip Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:37 »

I should carefully transplant into the deepest pots you have and let them 'put on a bit of growth' before going out.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 18:06 »
If you can't get really deep pots, then I'd put them straight out.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 18:09 »
I put mine in a few weeks ago in raised beds and they are doing fine, touch wood.

Goldfinger

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 18:34 »

6, or is it 7 WEEKS! And still nowt showing for me!  :(

Where's there a 'frustrated' emoicon when you need one to replace the raspberry one?...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 19:53 »
They need planting out as soon as the weather allows.
By the time the third leaf opens the roots will be at the bottom of the root trainers and may fork if you leave them any longer

Totty

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 20:33 »
I agree, put them out into the coldframe straight away, leave them until the end of the week and plant them out. If left any longer they will be useless! Parsnip seedlings are very tough regardless of size and we are not forecast any really cold weather, just make sure they are planted somewhere which drains well as they wont like being sat in waterlogged ground when very small especially with all the rain.

Totty

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 14:03 »
Next year try chitting the seed first, put them into a container between two damp pieces of kitchen paper, leave some where warm for 5 days and then check daily for the little chit, once chitted sow in the bed as normal, after a few days 7-14 they will germinate as normal. This method has a very high success rate.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

fatbelly

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 14:13 »
I direct sowed my Parsnips today, a variety called Countess F1.The packet says sow April or May. Last year I sowed my Snips this same week and I got a great crop.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 23:02 »
Next year try chitting the seed first, put them into a container between two damp pieces of kitchen paper, leave some where warm for 5 days and then check daily for the little chit, once chitted sow in the bed as normal, after a few days 7-14 they will germinate as normal. This method has a very high success rate.

What a good idea. I didn't think of doing this.

I am doing snips for the first time this year and I did the damp pieces of paper and then transplanted the seeds into compost filled loo rolls.

i also did some by just planting the seeds into loo rolls and then planted seed straight into the ground.

Your way sounds a lot less faffing about than mine. Will remember that for next year. ;)

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 23:19 »
I planted some seeds straight into the raised bed along with some turnips .
The turnips are showing well but can't make out if the parsnips have started or just weeds coming up will have to let them grow a little to see if I can make out which is which.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 23:23 »
I planted some seeds straight into the raised bed along with some turnips .
The turnips are showing well but can't make out if the parsnips have started or just weeds coming up will have to let them grow a little to see if I can make out which is which.
John

I am the same with the seeds I planted straight into the bed. I keep looking and willing them to hurry up and grow but they are ignoring me.  Not the most patient of women  :blush:

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 00:00 »
I have grown some Parsnip seedlings indoors, these have now germinated to the nursery leaf stage.  What should I do next? - move to the cold frame to grow on (seedlings are in root trainer modules) or plant out into the allotment bed?  Reason for this action is the very poor germination rate when seeds are sown directly into the allotment bed.

Personally I would gather them up and put them in the bin then sow seeds outdoors,  :nowink: :nowink: :nowink:
Faff free zone!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 10:11 »

Personally I would gather them up and put them in the bin then sow seeds outdoors,  :nowink: :nowink: :nowink:

Go back to Mumofstigs post --- by the time there are leaves the root is at the bottom of the root trainer and therefore likely to fork/fang and be distorted

Fine if you are growing them for soup, but if not ........
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:44
by theothermarg
xx
Parsnip seedlings

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 23:32
by twiggy-pea-sticks
xx
Parsnip Seedlings

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 21:08
by peapod
xx
Parsnip Seedlings, or Weeds!

Started by Jenny J on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 11:34
by Jenny J

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 33 queries.