Blight

• 6 Replies

Allotment Jon

Blight
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:09 »
I went down to my allotment this morning on slug watch. I have 2 types of potatoes, Vivaldi & Catriona. Some of the leaves on the Vivaldi only have bown patches and part of the leaves have gone yellow. I removed the leaves that looked infected. Is this the correct thing to do and what should  my next action be.

compostqueen

Blight
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 09:44 »
one of mine looks dodgy too but I watered it, the soil only, and am hoping that it was just thirsty. Ever the optimist. If your spuds are blighted you have to cut off the foliage and burn it. When blight strikes, and hopefully this is not what's wrong with yours, the spuds go all mushy and stink like hell so they have to be burned. Some though survive (after their foliage is removed) and you can manage to get a crop

Allotment Jon

Blight
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:03 »
Thanks. I think that as it my first year I would get some sort of problems. I have watered the potatoes once or twice a week with a hose so most of the water would be on the leaves rather than the soil. I am learning all the time thanks to advice on this website and other plot holders on my allotment.

compostqueen

Blight
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:06 »
they say not to splash water on your foliage of toms and spuds.  I don't water my spuds as it's just not possible cos there are too many and we can't use hoses, but I did see one looking yellow so watered just that one.
I hope to goodness we don't get blight this year as it's such a painful process having to burn your crops  :(

gobs

Blight
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:35 »
Plenty of pictures have been posted on the sight to help you with ID, Jon. Check them out well, as there have been reports from the west Midlands.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Blight
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:48 »
This is the current blight map for your region

MAP

There have been no further reported outbreaks of blight near you since the one in Leamington weeks ago.

That was in an outgrade pile, (last year's rejects).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Allotment Jon

Blight
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:27 »
Thanks for all the advice from all of you. My lesson learnt  today has been on watering properly rather than just splashing everything with water.

Jon

:D

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Blight again.

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 20:43
by pookey
xx
Help.... Is this blight?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 22:14
by cawdor2001
xx
Blight

Started by Diggerpete on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 22:01
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 35 queries.