Worming week - hell!

• 19 Replies

ghost61

Worming week - hell!
« on: November 11, 2013, 10:45 »
First time my chickens have been wormed by me, and I have chosen the pellets with flubenvet added. They hate them! They are constantly cackling and calling for me to feed them. I know I have to be strong and ignore them - I have decided to keep a low profile this week so they don't get their hopes up  ??? I assume that I can still provide them with grit and oyster shell during this week? I am worried that the poor dears will starve if they don't take to the pellets. Any advice or experiences most welcome!

helens-hens

Re: Worming week - hell!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 13:53 »
Definately still have grit and oyster shell available for them. I am sure they will get used to their new, temporary routine. Chickens aren't quite as daft as some people think, if they think they can get something they prefer they will protest a bit but they will soon start to eat the pellets when they realise there is no other choice!
Helen

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 14:49 »
I though all hens ate pellets all the time...?  You might be able to medicate whatever they usually eat - also - have look at my recent post about worming with sunflower seeds.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 15:18 »
Day one nearly over and they have started to eat the treated pellets. Sorry, Nerdle, to explain, I have bought medicated pellets to save faffing with the measurements as I have only three hens. Keeping out of sight is a good idea, it seems, as if they see me they start acting like they're being starved! Hope the neighbours understand the increased noise!

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 18:27 »
Nothing wrong with chicken eyesight!!!

KnoyDart

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 19:15 »
I am worming my chickens this week, no such worries here. They have been guzzling down their pellets as voraciously as ever.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:07 »
They definitely will not starve themselves :lol:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 12:01 »
Think they did quite well yesterday as they got through about 300gms between the three of them. Constant yammering this morning, and hubby has been teasing them by taking out veg peelings etc to the compost bin. They follow his every move and then stomp back sulkily!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 13:29 »
and hubby has been teasing them by taking out veg peelings etc to the compost bin. They follow his every move and then stomp back sulkily!

:lol: now that is just cruel

Willow_Warren

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 16:22 »
When my chickens are being wormed and shut in their run I try to avoid going anywhere that they can see me so I don't get them started up!

H :)

Helenaj

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 16:25 »
I'm always public enemy number 1 when I worm my girls. They look with such contempt at the layers pellets and you'd swear they are being starved - I never thought I'd be emotionally blackmailed by a chicken! I do spoil them the first day after though - lots of fresh cauliflower which they love and their pellets mixed with bio-yoghurt with a bit of pear chopped up - they kill for that! :D

ghost61

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 16:58 »
Just went out to collect the feeder and shut the coop. Out they came hopeful for food. Big cuddle for Sticky, but Toppers walked back in a huff when she'd sussed that there was no chance of any treats.  :D

BabbyAnn

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 22:09 »
but Toppers walked back in a huff

this reminds me of something completely off topic that I've seen on another forum ...

Ll187f27Pxg

ehs284

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 10:23 »
Brilliant link thank you....... but you're right there is no mistaking the body language!

joolz68

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 21:39 »
I do soak pellets with warm water every morn  and sometimes add a weetabix and a sachet of porridge to the jug so mine do eat it that way(warrens love it),i do also leave pellet form in a feeder and also corn in another as i have a cockrel.
I started with flubenvet 2 days ago (as i noticed roundworm) just mixing the powder in their mash pellet breakfast and they have still eaten it all  :) ...i got 7 eggs today!! maybe a fluke(i usualy get 3/5) but its supposed be freezing again tomo so maybe they know and are stocking me up  :lol:

xx
Worming week.

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 10:25
by nerdle
clip
What the hell is this ???

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 19:36
by cbv8
xx
New chicken hell!

Started by Gerty333 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 12:58
by helens-hens
xx
Red mite hell!

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 10:15
by alancane

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 28 queries.