how high

• 7 Replies

bailey

• Experienced Member
how high
« on: May 01, 2010, 17:55 »
Hi all,, i,m in the process of preparing a coop and a run for a couple of chickens we will be soon getting,,  just wondering wether the run should need a roof on as such as the fence will be about 3 feet high.. the chickens will need to be kept in this enclosure, so will they be able to get out or not?

thanks all

treacleminer

Re: how high
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 18:06 »
Depends on the chickens - some of mine will clear 3 feet, but do like to have a run up or to climb on to the hen house first as a launch pad.  If they absolutely must stay it, I would net over the top!

poppies

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 18:27 »
Hi  I have hens that can clear a 6 ft fence, they sort of flutter up  the wire, you could try clipping their wings -only one wing each hen.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 20:28 »
You also need to worry about what can get in! Foxes will take them day or night, in a field or in a back garden.

Ribbit

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:07 »
I'd put an over hang facing away from the garden so things can't jump up! Most chooks knwo where they live anywho. Mine could easily get over into the field but they choose not to, possibly cos they know where the food lies..... Bridget perched on the fence but didn't attempt to escape and just fell asleep :D
It's like America...But south!

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:35 »
In my experience chickens will easily get over that.  Even if they don't for a while there is no guarantee that one day they won't decide to go and see if the grass is greener on the other side.  To be honest, my biggest worry would be that foxes and other predators would be able to get in.

cheriton

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 16:16 »
I would definately cover it with net or similar. Chicken Tikka fluttered onto a 4ft chairback yesterday with no problem whatsoever ;) .

Chablis Dog

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 11:52 »
My little brown hens fly up onto a climbing frame that I have for them when they come out of the hen house in the morning to avoid the cockerel's attentions.  This is about 3 feet high and they get up there easily.  To my astonishment, I found my very fat cockerel sitting atop my one ton bale of straw the other day and that is about 5 feet high.  How he got up there I cannot imagine and he has only done it the once, but he got up there nonetheless, so it just shows they can reach a certain height when they want to.  They have not so far attempted to fly over the 5.5 foot stock fencing though even though none of them are clipped.

xx
How high

Started by MKD on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 19:51
by GrannieAnnie
xx
how high

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 17:33
by grinling
xx
HOW HIGH

Started by happyclucker on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 13:55
by happyclucker
xx
How High??

Started by Pep on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 16:12
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 28 queries.