Going to collect my 3 Light Sussex pullets on thursday need advice

• 5 Replies

babaloo151070

Hi everyone Im Freddy from the south east coast of Kent and after much thought and planning have decided to bite the bullet and get myself three chickens (light Sussex).
Im due to go and pick them up from a lovely lady not too far away from me but im not too sure as to what I should transport them in? A box? Cat basket? (which I only have oone of)

Could anyone advise me what whould be the better way as dont want their journey to be too sacry for them.  Spent a long time choosing a coop and run for them and dont want too make their first few moment with me to be moments of fear and axciousness!

My second question is ive been looking for a Poultry friendly wood stain for the coop! Most of them say animal friendly does this include my lil ladies?

I hope you guys can help me in some way.

Kind Reagrds

Freddy and my soon to be lil ladies (Pip, Squeek & Wilfred)

Kym503

• Experienced Member
How wonderful - I remember my first hens were light sussex.  Regards transporting them, if the box is too big they may well get 'thrown' about.  It may be less space is better as long as it's only a short journey.  I seem to recall that I transported 2 or 3 in a cat basket but also a Walkers Crisp box seemed ideal for 3 ...don't forget to put some slashes in  the sides. If you put holes the little angels may well get their beaks out and start pulling the box apart.  Good luck and enjoy your new found hobby.

Elcie

Hi, yes as stated above a cardboard box is fine as long as it is the right size.  You are likely to get one too big rather than too small as they can fit into small (but not cramped!) situations.  If you close the lid of the box they will think it is night time and this will settle them down.  Expect some poo in the box though!

Good luck with them, they really are great fun.

TeaPots

Yup...cardboard box is ideal. sprinkle straw or shavings in the bottom, to absorb the poop before it soaks through the box into your car seat!. Dunno how long they will be travelling, but even a short half hour trip will get them very hot snuggled together in the enclosed space...make sure you have lots of ventilation/slots/holes in the box. If it is a long journey,ie over a couple of hours, maybe something with a wire type front would be best. (or a cardboard box with a homemade wire square as a lid...I have been known to use an old wire fridge shelf as a lid, taped down safely.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
I have collected and delivered chickens in cardboard boxes and a cat basket - both are fine.
Regarding wood stain it is recommended that you look for one that says it is safe for bats, if it is safe for them then it will be safe for your girls  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chablis Dog

I got given my first group of chooks in March this year by someone who was moving (4 chickens and one cockerel).  My friend put each one into a sort of wire cat basket with a lid that opened at the top and it worked brilliantly.  We transported them the 20 minutes or so to our house at dusk and then put them into a large straw-filled dog crate for the night (as their hen house was yet to follow).  I expected to have very stressed birds but not a bit of it.  There was one egg waiting for me in the dog crate the next morning and they seemed perfectly happy.  I have to say though, the wire-mesh cat baskets worked so well that I am thinking of buying some for any future bird-transporting events!

xx
R.I.R X LIGHT SUSSEX

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 11, 2007, 09:24
by chickenjohnok
xx
light sussex

Started by goshawk7 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 12:57
by ANHBUC
xx
Age of my Light Sussex

Started by Gazchook on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 08:38
by joyfull
question
light sussex

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 14:11
by Casey76

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 37 queries.