Badger attack-a happy ending

• 10 Replies

robsonutop

Badger attack-a happy ending
« on: July 09, 2012, 16:09 »
I went out to feed my orpintons about 6 weeks ago to find my black cockerel dead and 1/2 eaten, feathers everywhere, one of my hens on top of their hut. The other walked out to me very severely mauled. One side of her was badly eaten and she had bite marks as if something had had her in it's mouth. I removed her and put her in a cage on her own in a shed, treating her wounds with iodine solution and aloe vera. She ate and drank but I expected her to be dead from shock the next day. I contacted our local gamekeeper as I thought a fox had attacked and they always like to know if foxes are about as they breed pheasants, but on examination of the cockerel etc he said it was a badger and advised electric fencing. I now have electric mesh and- touch wood!-  no more attacks but amazingly my hen recovered. She's still missing tail feathers but has grown back flesh and other feathers, put weight on so she looks like a hen again and I have been able to put her back with her sister. I don't know if she'll lay eggs again but her comb is reddening so you never know...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Badger attack-a happy ending
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 16:15 »
glad she is getting better  :).
Staffies are softer than you think.

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 20:39 »
I almost lost a hen last month to a fox, she recovered aswell much t all of our surprise!! they are so resilient! sad news about your cockerek though :(
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

robsonutop

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 19:55 »
Thanks
I never realised badgers could be a problem. Why are they protected when foxes aren't?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:50 »
Sounds like your cockerel died protecting your injured chicken.  He must have been really brave.

There was someone else who had a badger getting into the chicken run.  Have a read http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=91103.0

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

robsonutop

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 13:20 »
Yes I think that was the case. It had come under the wire and broken off the door at the side of the hut and I presume my hen was the nearest to the door. I can see the grass flattened in the hedge behind the mesh again this morning. I know there are setts in the valley over the fields about 1/2 a mile from my house My mesh is electrified but I'm concerned it's waiting for another chance at 1 of my youngsters. I lock them away each night in a different more substantial shed but how do you stop badgers?

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 14:51 »
We have raccoons which are as dangerous as badgers and they've been after our racing pigeon coops.

For added protection, make sure you don't have any useless poultry mesh/wire anywhere. If they bypass the electric fence, they can shred that in no time flat. You need to replace it with strong weldmesh fencing. Yes, it costs a bundle, but worth every penny. And be sure they can't tunnel under it.

Our coops are raised and for the flooring we used catwalk metal sheeting and absolutely nothing gets through that (except the poop which is easier to collect below). For the coop walls we used 1/2" weldmesh and used lots of nail-in type metal staples. All coop corners are well-screwed in, and the doors all have a key lock (against pesky kids) and several latches and hooks and eyes up and down their length so no critters and pull the door open enough to squeeze through.  Excessive? Perhaps, but we all sleep well at night.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 21:28 »
AWW poor hen glad she is recovering so sorry about your cockerel :( . Badgers are a nasty piece of work as i found out whilst walking my 3 dog late the other night. Bearing in mind 2 of my dogs are large ( Husky and a Dalmatian) but that didnt stop this crazy creature having a go at us. My dogs freaked out (And so did i lol) So we just ran and the thing was chasing us which in the dark was very creepy as it was making an awful grunting sound and god they can run. We had come face to face with it rummaging through someones food bin on the pavement. So yes i dont doubt for a second they wouldnt try their luck on hens

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 16:25 »
Sad news on your cockerel, but I'm glad your hen recovered.  :D
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

robsonutop

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 14:31 »
Thanks for all the good wishes
Unbelievably my hen now looks as if she is going to start laying as her comb has reddened up

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 19:23 »
yay thats good news glad shes on a good road to recovery  :)

xx
Worst morning ever! (with happy ending)

Started by Mulberry1990 on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 09:15
by hillfooter
xx
Why are chickens so nasty to weaker ones?...sad ending

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 12:39
by joyfull
xx
Attack

Started by argylepete on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 10:57
by Ema
xx
Mr Fox attack

Started by Maybelle on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 23:58
by isobel

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 39 queries.