what killed my chickens

• 32 Replies

Ian Findlay

what killed my chickens
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:55 »
I have had a group of 2 orpingtons, a maran and one mixed breed chickens since last summer.  Recently, I took on 3 small bantams from a friend who couldn't look after them any more.  Last night/this morning, something has killed two of the bantams.  They were killed on the floor where they roosted.  One had its head cleanly removed and the other was eaten from the backside in.  The other chickens all roosted higher and none were touched.  I had forgotten to lock them in their hen house last night, but this is quite common with no problems before.  There is a large run constructed of chicken wire about 7 feet high and 3 x 4 metres around.  The bottom of the wire is connected to hard wood 4x4 batons and surrounded by chuckies (large gravel stones).  I have been treating the area for rats which I think I have been successful in doing.  At first, I did think maybe there were some rats left, but then I found a large pile of droppings inside the henhouse about 4 inches across which look nothing like rat droppings and more like small dog poo.  It doesn't resemble fox poo unless it had a touch of diarhoea! I have some pictures of the droppings.  I wondered if it was mink or soemthing similar but wonder why the higher roosting birds were untouched.  I will however be securing everything up tight every noight from now on.  Any ideas? I live near the coast in North Aberdeenshire.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:32 by Ian Findlay »

Mickle

Re: what killes my chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:31 »
Hello Ian
Either Otter or Mink would be my guess, there are both in your neck of the woods.
Did it go for the heart,Liver via the back-end

Ian Findlay

Re: what killes my chickens
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:42 »
Yes, it ate all the innards and left the carcass untouched. I have to say it was very clean and clinical.

Ian Findlay

Re: what killed my chickens
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:34 »
Hi Mickle  Do you, or anyone else, have ideas on how to deal with otters or mink?  Obviously, I wouldn't want to harm an otter so some sort of deterrent is maybe best, but with mink being an alien species and it being illegal to relaease them live, I would need soemthing different for them. Thanks

Mickle

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 16:00 »
Hello Ian
It sounds a lot like Mink, been predating the rat population and probably been in the vicinity a while.
Build a nice oblong tunnel no less than 24"long preferably longer with the top centre re-moveable to service a Mk4 Fenn trap better still the Mk6, site the tunnel either alongside the chicken run  or fence/hedge and blend it in using stone,old branches etc, if you want to guide them in install wings on the ends (Few sticks driven in)wide and tapering in
Set the trap in the primed position but with the safety ON and put a little bait on the plate or in the tunnel.
At the end of the tunnel lay wet smooth sand and check to see which is using it from spoor print, the Otter track is larger and webbed but I think (hope) you will find its Mink doing the killing.
 make sure you try to keep your scent at the minimum ( gloves rubbed in the soil before handling the trap helps)
Both trap types will take Mink but the Mk6 is better for the Adults especially males,

After you see which beastie is visiting then you can arm the trap

If its Otter then a live catch trap is easily fabricated out of weld mesh with a weighted or spring door mechanism, once caught he won't be back. The Mink will still have a winter coat as payment for his wrongdoings.

Ian Findlay

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 19:16 »
Hi again Mickle. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try ASAP! Bit confused about the droppings though as I showed a local gunsmith/equipment seller the photos of the droppings and he's convinced it's a badger!!! However, there's no holes big enough, I have found one that rats/mink would fit that I hadn't noticed before, and there's no way it could climb in or out.

Mickle

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 19:36 »
Hello Ian
Never had any problems with Badgers bothering my Pheasants or any other fowl,
I'd still guess at Mink,Otter or even a feral Ferret

Mick

Ian Findlay

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 19:38 »
Thanks Mickle. I'm with you on this one as I've checked everything and it has to be one of them, most likely mink.

Mickle

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 19:46 »
No problem Ian, I think your on the right line
Good hunting
Mick

bluecharlie

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 22:33 »
Hi it certainly sounds like it is mink, i lost my hens to mink last year,caught it in the act! just after 5pm, no sign of a predeter before tho, any way there is a web page about rules and regulations.i just googled mink,tells you all you must do and how etc,
we now keep our hens locked up unless im at home with the dogs running in the garden,i have welded mesh covering all wood and paving slabs surrounding the run as any predeter will dig at base of the run always lock them in at night too.mink are vile creatures with no regard for any animal that gets in its way,we  back on to a small river and lost the duck population,young swans and even cats have disappeared good luck

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 23:00 »
Hi, I agree with bluecharlie,we have a mink problem on the canal and the wild foul population has plumetted.Once they have cleared the canel of food we can get ready..

Ian Findlay

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 08:20 »
Hi guys. At 2.30 this morning I was woken by noises outside ( must've been sleeping lighter than normal). By the time I got out with a torch I caught sight of a badger disappearing over the garden boundary wall and into the field in front of the house. So, I definitely have a badger and going by google am likely to have a family nearby!! The chickens were secured last night so no damage done. The * must've come back though as my recycling bin was tipped over when it definitely wasn't at 2.30am. Thanks for your replies and advice so far! Ian

Mickle

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 16:19 »
Hello Ian

Here's an interesting passage from Brockwatch of Northampton

Predation on livestock. This is very rare. Over the years we have received only a very small number of reports of badgers taking poultry. These incidents have involved badgers affected by prolonged dry weather, or in one case an injured animal which took refuge in a hen house and was accidently shut in with the chicken and her young overnight. Like foxes, badgers will feed on carcases of dead lambs. Predation on live lambs by badgers is very uncommon in Britain, and we are not aware of any confirmed reports of this happening locally. Lamb killing, when it occurs, is more likely to be the work of a stray dog than a badger (or a fox for that matter).

As you can see it's a very rare thing and not normal behaviour (Their diet consists of nigh on 75% EARTHWORMS)
It would be very interesting to confirm that its a Badger please keep us informed.

Mick

Ian Findlay

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 19:17 »
Hey Mick

I've been reading up on badgers taking chickens too and realise how rare it is. The droppings I found in the hen house are definitely badger and I've been told it would've been a scent marker to deter other beasts so that the carcasses remain for their next visit!!  I've found some badger paw prints on a newly seeded lawn too!! So, all in all, with my sighting, droppings and prints I have a badger visiting. As there are no holes under or through the wire, if the badger is the culprit, it must be able to climb a 6 foot fence (at it's lowest point).  I'm going to set up a video camera tonight and see if I can get some proof it can get into the run at least! I'll keep you posted!! Is there any way photos/video can be shared on here? 

Ian

NormandyMary

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 20:19 »
Hiya. I have no advice to give, but can I just say how brilliant this thread is. So interesting. I do hope you find your culprit Ian, but I have a very soft spot for badgers, my dear old mother used to feed a family of badgers every night, some years ago, in Devon.
Good Luck with your investigation.

Mary.

xx
What Bites and Killed the Chickens

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 14:35
by wildwitchy
xx
My chickens killed and ate a sparrow

Started by Ellex on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 16:23
by evie2
xx
Next door's dog killed one of our chickens!!!

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 21:43
by babe
xx
hi guys and girls, please help. chickens getting killed

Started by roxynisa on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 09:58
by peter rooster

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 36 queries.