Organic Manure

• 56 Replies

mixdiver

Organic Manure
« on: February 09, 2007, 11:26 »
I was asked by a fellow lottie owner if I knew weather  my manure supply was organic - I have never really thought about the question and always used whatever muck I can get my hands on. However,  on reflection it was a good point raised.
Do other people worry if their manure is produced by an organically managed animal or is all manure classified as organic?

All opinions greatfully appreciated...

Mixdiver
Digging away to keep the weight down!

beansticks

Organic Manure
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:31 »
I dont think there is such a thing as organic manure.Where ever it originated from you can bet that the animals were given some form of treatment that involved either growth hormones or antibiotics etc,or even their feed was treated with something.

mixdiver

Organic Manure
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 11:49 »
What about animals that have been raised for organic meat or milk?

Mixdiver

wellingtons

Surely all ...
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 11:58 »
... farmyard manure is organic ... in it's literal sense.

Organic means derived from living organics ... to put it bluntly it comes out da back end of a horse or a cow ... therefore it is organic and not synthetic.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I thought that an organic farm (under the DEFRA rules and regulations) could only move "organic" manure (as in the sense you mean - no chemicals, no additives) to another certified organic site.  As I said though I might be wrong there.

mixdiver

Re: Surely all ...
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 12:12 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
... farmyard manure is organic ... in it's literal sense.

Organic means derived from living organics ... to put it bluntly it comes out da back end of a horse or a cow ... therefore it is organic and not synthetic.

That's what I was led to believe till yesterday.... If you use muck generated from animals that have been pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones it must have effect on what comes out of the back end. And if this is so using muck from such a source would mean that you would be putting all those nasties onto the plot. Am I being a bit worried  about the providence of the poo I am getting hold of?

muntjac

Organic Manure
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 12:18 »
you can only do so much , the air is polluted that we and plants we breath , the rain is also .dont worry so much about it , you can only do so much ,personally i couldnt give a toss about anything being organic anymore it was a fad that was unrealistic in my opinion .worry more about what you can grow that is the best  to feed your family a full meal , i can point you in the direction of people who couldnt give a toss what chemicals are being used to grow the food ,, they are starving and just need to eat anything . :wink:  :D
still alive /............

wellingtons

There is so much ol' pony ...
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 12:42 »
... talked about farming here in the UK.

The use of growth hormones in cattle in the UK is banned and has been for quite a long time.  Animals are only allowed to be given antibiotics or any other drugs that are deemed necessary to their health.  

Farmers, in all honesty, cannot afford to pump cattle full of chemicals, because if they do they can't sell them into the food chain.   So I really wouldn't worry to much about it.

And as I said, I'm not even sure that you can legally buy "organic manure" anyway, unless you're another certified organic site.

I know I'm biased, I'm a farmer's daughter.   But sooner or later, the law will change and farmer's will not be allowed to move manure off site anyway.

Did you know a farmer has to adhere to rules and regulations about where he can store it, how long he has to store before he can use it on his own land, let alone sell it to the likes of thee and me?

beansticks

Organic Manure
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 12:53 »
Be content in the knowledge that you know exactly what you have done to your plot during the growing season,as Munty says pollution is in the rain that falls.

Jake

• Rockers
Re: There is so much ol' pony ...
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 13:16 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
sooner or later, the law will change and farmer's will not be allowed to move manure off site anyway.

I'm horrified by that, I hadn't thought about it before but yes, I'm sure thats correct :(

What on earth to do, think I'll become a manure dealer on the black market.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

muntjac

Organic Manure
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 13:21 »
fer fff sakes they gona be having a monitering station on my ass next  :roll: "big brother is watching you"  is fast becoming an orwellian reality

fluffypebble

Organic Manure
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 13:22 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
fer fff sakes they gona be having a monitering station on my ass next  :roll: "big brother is watching you"  is fast becoming an orwellian reality

Think they might just take your word for it, lol
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

muntjac

Organic Manure
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 13:29 »
i am not so sure theses days ,if you type bomb in an email it automatically rings bell in the security world lolo along with other key words  :lol:  i can just imagine some red necked yank running round in circles like a head less chicken cos muntjac said he is making a toxic gas monitor  for his ass  ... lmaooooooooo :lol:

mixdiver

Organic Manure
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 13:47 »
You must think I am some weirdo with a beard, wears sandals all year and munches on nothing but tofu! How wrong that would be to assume that! :wink:
I'm personally not going to worry too much if my s*it comes from an organically reared cow or a "normal" animal however my friend is ... I ask the question :-
"If a farmer who is marketing his produce as organic allowed to use manure sourced from a farm that is run using normal farming practices (ie chemicals and the like)"?

Mixdiver

muntjac

Organic Manure
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 13:52 »
ermmmmmmmmmmm?  :roll: next question please ? :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Organic Manure
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 14:02 »
Nobody is assuming you are wierd and wear snadals MD, but I think the only way to check as to what is CORRECT, is to ask DEFRA or similar body.

All we are saying on here is HOW can anything be classed as 'organic' when everything is rained on, comes in on the wind etc etc.

Personally, I have bought things in to put on my plot, not manure from outside as we have our own chook poo and used to have our own goat poo, but I use growmore occasionally and last week bought some fish, blood and bonemeal, and I must admit that I didn't look on the packet to see exactly what goes in there, but I'd get on and do whatever I think is okay if I was you and let your neighbour do what he wants.

xx
ORGANIC POULTRY MANURE

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 10:03
by Sue33
xx
Organic Poultry Manure pellets

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2010, 11:56
by JayG
xx
Pre packed Westland organic Manure

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 17:50
by The Golden Heap
xx
Organic chicken manure tablets

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 20:14
by Aidy

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 32 queries.