• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Organic Manure
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 14:20 »
"All water in this establishment has been passed by the management"

:oops:

wellingtons

Mixdiver ...
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 14:24 »
... legally no ... someone cannot supply manure stating that it is organic if some or all of it, comes from a farm that does not have organic status.

But as I said, and I haven't waded around DEFRA, but I don't think an organic farm can sell manure to the likes of me and you anyway, so if you're offered organic manure I'd ask the question.  Do you mean organic status or organic as in comes out the bum end of a cow ...  :lol:

I haven't got you down as a tofu munching weirdo, I think it's an interesting question.  

Jake ... I am pretty certain that will happen ... maybe not because the law says they absolutely can't but because to comply with the regulations farmers would have to jump through so many hoops of fire, to make £15 a load they won't bother.

denbo73

• Experienced Member
Organic Manure
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 15:57 »
Think iv seen a thread like this befor :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Trillium

Re: Organic Manure
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 18:09 »
Odds are likely that some Chelsea gardening entrant got any available actual 'organic' manure before other mortals even knew about it. Organic stuff must come from a certified organic farm, which means absolutely no chemical treatments whatsoever. Your only question should be to your maure source is: exactly how much antibiotics and chemical treatment do you give your animals? This way you'll know if someone very sensitive to chemicals, who might eat your produce, can avoid eating it. Otherwise, enjoy - while it lasts.

mercury

Organic Manure
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 19:07 »
To be able to call it organic manure, i should think the cattle need to be bedded on organically grown straw too, sorry for complicating matters further :roll:  :roll:  :lol:

Trillium

Organic Manure
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 19:36 »
You're right, Mercury. It has to be organic all down the line and adds no end of costs to growers. For other manures, as long as the animals aren't heavily dosed or dosed on a suspiciously regular basis, what comes out the back end is as good as it's going to get. Personally, I'm very sensitive to many chemicals given to animals so I constantly ask the supplier what is given to them. Also look at the condition of the animals from your source; if they're sickly looking, pass on the freebie. My biggest humus supply comes from shredded leaves I get free from my town. The leaves come from 50 ft+ (15 M) tall acers all around my town, and no way does the town bother spraying them for anything, so in a way you could call this organic if names are really that important.  I top this up with homemade compost and some bagged composted manure (not guaranteed either, but you gotta draw the line somewhere). :very happy:

shaun

Organic Manure
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 19:45 »
i would love to see so called organic manure tested against normal manure for trace elements or whatever and see what the results are.
whats next on the organic shopping list "organic potting compost"  ? :roll:
manure is manure simple as that
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Trillium

organic manure
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2007, 16:53 »
A noticeable difference in trace elements is unlikely in any manure, however, residual antibiotics and other such treatments will be found and quantities will vary with the farmer's practices and needs. Must remember that due to global warming and pollution, more and more people (like myself) are becoming physically very sensitive to what our food is grown in. To save my life, I can't eat store bought root veg or I become quite ill. This is most likely due to chemical fertilizing, but there are people, seriously, who risk violent reaction, even death, from penicillin allergies complicated by passed on residuals in manure. Penicillin allergies are on the rise and parents with allergic children should be thinking of this and asking their manure supplier just how much he/she uses.
Not trying to be an alarmist, but nor do I want to see children die needlessly with parents none the wiser.

shaun

Organic Manure
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2007, 18:28 »
so what your saying trillium that there is enough penicillin in manure that has been injected into the offending animal,then the manure is dug into your soil and transfers into your crops to poison someone.
then you ask the farmer how much penicillin is in the manure.
i know what his answer will be.

WG.

Organic Manure
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2007, 18:51 »
I can see where Trillium is coming from - folks with nut allergies can go into anaphylactic shock with absolutely miniscul amounts.  The food industry takes this very seriously. Just ask Cadburys!!

Manure is a different matter, a very imprecise matter at that.  AS I UNDERSTAND ... even organic farmers are allowed to have vets treat their animals.  The main difference is that 60 days, rather than 30 days, must elapse before these animals can be slaughtered for human consumption.

I'm not 100% sure of these facts so I'd welcome being corrected by someone really 'in the know'.

I consider myself to be an organic gardener.  I get most of my muck from horses which are not wormed.  But I still plant seeds from regular commercial sources!

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Organic Manure
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007, 18:54 »
Even if you've never added any chemicals to the soil, neither the air or the rain can be certified chemical-free - you have to draw the line somewhere...

beansticks

Organic Manure
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 18:58 »
As i said earlier i dont think there is such a thing as organic manure,be happy that you have not dosed your plot with chemicals and artificial fertilizers.

WG.

Organic Manure
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 18:59 »
Absolutely right ytyynycefn, that is what I was getting at with the seeds.

Heh ... looks like you could use some vowels down there, mate.  Want me to send you some?

shaun

Organic Manure
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 19:00 »
so what your saying in effect is if myself is on antibiotics or penicilin and i have a piss in my compost heap i can transfer this to my crops when i use the compost and give someone an alergic reaction to the above.
come on please

xx
ORGANIC POULTRY MANURE

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 10:03
by Sue33
xx
Pre packed Westland organic Manure

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 17:50
by The Golden Heap
xx
Organic chicken manure tablets

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 20:14
by Aidy
xx
Organic Poultry Manure pellets

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2010, 11:56
by JayG

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 29 queries.