Best flavour French beans

• 39 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Best flavour French beans
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 18:23 »
Kristen, please read this old thread which explains the comment.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113251.msg1295430#msg1295430

Thanks MoS, very helpful.

So if I were to pull my beans up and chuck them on the compost heap, rather than cutting them off, it would make no odds (to the soil where the crop had been)

Whereas a Legume green manure, where the whole lot was re-incorporated, would do a useful job.

Now just got to get my head to update from decades of entrenched thinking!!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 19:16 »
I grow dwarf and climbing beans.

I really like Amythest, and am trying Ma Lowe's Purple Teepee from the seed circle this year. I grow Minidor for yellow beans and they are lovely and tasty. Am also trying Nun's Belly Button.

Climbers am not so practised at - I did like the Cherokee Trail of Tears a lot, nutty and tender, whereas the Amythest are more 'beany' if that makes sense. I saved most of them for seed though and to eat as a dried bean, where they are also great.

This year I'm growing Mrs Fortune too, and Mr Fearn's purple flowered, Lazy Housewife and Sultana, as well as waiting for my selections to come back from the HSL and to see what I get as a newbie seed guardian. A goodly part of my plot will be beans....!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 19:24 »
Following a recommendation on here last year, I grew "Nautica" - a dwarf variety. I'm pleased that I bought a big packet of seed as I will be doing the same again this year.

DD i am really pleased to hear that, I never thought I'd ever be able to recommend anything to an " old boy" not saying your old but a wise one. We love them and will be growing this year, next year and every year after that.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2015, 21:24 »

I usually sow some dwarf ones early to grow on in the GH to try for some early beans, three seeds to a pot!

But no matter how dry I keep the compost quite a lot of the seeds rot and don't germinate1

Does anyone else have this problem with early sowings?

Cheers!
STOP, and smell the roses!

LotuSeed

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 01:21 »
I made the mistake of soaking some of mine prior to planting, they turned to mush. I think they're likely to do the same if the soil temps aren't right for germination. If they sit in cold soil they'll just rot. *stinky*. I think soil temperature is key.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Robster

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 04:38 »
we grow "Sprite" as a dwarf bean. These are nice and thin well flavoured and proper "squeaky" we plant an early crop in the cold frame.  Then we grow "Cobra" for climbing outside.  Prolific, good bean.  Also trying "Yard Long" this year as well.

8doubles

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 09:05 »
we grow "Sprite" as a dwarf bean. These are nice and thin well flavoured and proper "squeaky" we plant an early crop in the cold frame.  Then we grow "Cobra" for climbing outside.  Prolific, good bean.  Also trying "Yard Long" this year as well.

Best of luck with the Yard Longs, i tried them in the greenhouse and managed 5 flowers giving  2 beans that were 1/9th of a yard long !
 :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 11:50 »
I grew Yard Long outside last year, without having read about the really (REALLY!) hot summer they need ... didn't get any beans at all.

Goosegirl

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 13:22 »

I usually sow some dwarf ones early to grow on in the GH to try for some early beans, three seeds to a pot!
But no matter how dry I keep the compost quite a lot of the seeds rot and don't germinate1
Does anyone else have this problem with early sowings?
Cheers!
Sowing too soon even if they have very little moisture is the problem because sudden cold temps will make them rot. Later sowings always catch up.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 21:42 »

Thanks for the info to Lotuseed and Goosegirl!

I like to try to get whatever plants I grow as early as possible, as I think the first of any veggies always seem to taste better than they actually are, just because they are the first!

As for the French beans, I "will" wait!

PS The French always were awkward!  ;)

xx
Runner beans - how do you rate yours for flavour?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 18:36
by Tom Hill
xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 32 queries.