rotating leek bed

• 15 Replies

georget

rotating leek bed
« on: March 18, 2014, 17:57 »
Does anyone rotate their leeks within their crop rotation plan ive always thought you use the same leek trench every year.Any thoughts

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: rotating leek bed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 17:59 »
I rotate mine to try to avoid a build up of any allium diseases. They follow my first early potatoes most years, which works for me.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 18:47 »
snap  :)

Yana

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 19:07 »
I rotate mine to try to avoid a build up of any allium diseases. They follow my first early potatoes most years, which works for me.
And what goes after the leeks please? I put leeks where the broad beans went.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 19:26 »
I use this space for Mangetout and beetroot the following year, which suits our rotation quite well.

With you planting your leeks after the broad beans, it might be better perhaps to follow with a different group such as brassicas.

(I follow broad beans with Spring Cabbage or kale plants usually)

Yana

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 06:33 »
I use this space for Mangetout and beetroot the following year, which suits our rotation quite well.

With you planting your leeks after the broad beans, it might be better perhaps to follow with a different group such as brassicas.

(I follow broad beans with Spring Cabbage or kale plants usually)
Oh ok. Back to the drawing board then.  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 12:29 »
Peas and beans have nitrogen-fixing nodules which is why you just cut off the stems and leave the roots intact. The following crop should be brassicas as they like nitrogen.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 15:24 »
Modern science doesn't think that legumes actually leave much nitrogen behind, so don't worry about where they go in the rotation.

Nitrogen Return to the Soil and Other Crops
The amount of nitrogen returned to the soil during or after a legume crop can be misleading. Almost all of the nitrogen fixed goes directly into the plant. Little leaks into the soil for a neighboring nonlegume plant. However, nitrogen eventually returns to the soil for a neighboring plant when vegetation (roots, leaves, fruits) of the legume dies and decomposes.
When the grain from a grain legume crop is harvested, little nitrogen is returned for the following crop. Most of the nitrogen fixed during the season is removed from the field. The stalks, leaves and roots of grain legumes, such as soybeans and beans contain about the same concentration of nitrogen as found in non-legume crop residue. In fact, the residue from a corn crop contains more nitrogen than the residue from a bean crop, simply because the corn crop has more residue.

A perennial or forage legume crop only adds significant nitrogen for the following crop if the entire biomass (stems, leaves, roots) is incorporated into the soil. If a forage is cut and removed from the field, most of the nitrogen fixed by the forage is removed. Roots and crowns add little soil nitrogen compared with the aboveground biomass.

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_a/A129/

Yana

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 19:51 »
Peas and beans have nitrogen-fixing nodules which is why you just cut off the stems and leave the roots intact. The following crop should be brassicas as they like nitrogen.
Oops. I followed broad beans and french beans with leeks and then plan to put brassicas in where the leeks were. I've got this all wrong  :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 21:31 »
Recent research has shed doubt on how much nitrogen is actually fixed by roots of legumes so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

We've just had a talk from an experienced local allotmenteer at our AGM.  He often puts leeks in after broad beans or early peas.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Robster

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 23:49 »
Yes thats what I do.  Broad beans out by july and leeks in and eat them until the bed is cleared for brassicas the following year.  This is mainly driven through harvest times than any horticultural/nutritional nuance

Yana

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 06:35 »
Yes thats what I do.  Broad beans out by july and leeks in and eat them until the bed is cleared for brassicas the following year.  This is mainly driven through harvest times than any horticultural/nutritional nuance
That's how I do it Robster but now I'm thinking I have to redo my rotation.
Thing is I don't grow many potatoes so it makes putting them in the plan tricky. I use a 3-year plan but with spuds it makes it a four year rotation and then I get confused.

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 11:56 »
I'm beginning to think that, as long as you don't plant the same thing in the same place the following year, does it really matter? I have rotated my crops according to the recommended plan but, when I have used up a crop, I'm left with a wasted space.

Yana

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 19:46 »
Doesn't it also have something to do with making sure you don't put roots where manure has been?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 20:07 »
It just means you decide where the roots are going before you put any manure down  ;)

xx
Veg that doesn't need crop rotating?

Started by Ghost on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2013, 23:28
by mumofstig
xx
Rotating Butternut Squash

Started by boldondig on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2012, 21:31
by syks grower
xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
leek help

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 13:22
by Ivah

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 31 queries.